Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/A

classmaz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry but i have a newbie question.
I have bought Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/A and received it today. I have purchased 2 Hikvision ds-2cd2342WD and a WD purple 2TB from amazon

I thought it would be a case of plugging the cams to the NVR via Cat 5 or 6 wireing, however the NVR only has one LAN connection at the back am i missing something? I thought it would have had 8 ports as it can handle 8 cams

any advice help appreciated

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Plug the NVR into your LAN / network.
Plug the cameras into your LAN / network.

They are all IP devices - they just communicate over the network wherever they are connected to it.
What wiring have you done with the cameras?

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That NVR doesn't have LAN ports for IPC, you need a POE switch.

classmaz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Plug the NVR into your LAN / network.
Plug the cameras into your LAN / network.

They are all IP devices - they just communicate over the network wherever they are connected to it.
What wiring have you done with the cameras?
I have only just ordered them today so haven't touched them yet. My NVR is going to be stored in the loft and has a powerplug to my router. What should i connect the 2 IP cams too? the router for my internet is downstairs so that isn't really an option.

Also I have read that some of the hikvision cams could be grey imports and how to identify them. What is the issue with them being grey imports? is it the ability to have firmware updates blocked and no tech support?

cheers mike

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That would work OK - but you'd be paying a bit extra for the Gigabit ports as they are overkill - the cameras are 10/100Mbps so with 2 of them at, say, 8Mbps bit rate each, the feed to the NVR is still only going to be about 15% of a 10/100Mbps switch port.

classmaz1

n3wb
Reaction score
That would work OK - but you'd be paying a bit extra for the Gigabit ports as they are overkill - the cameras are 10/100Mbps so with 2 of them at, say, 8Mbps bit rate each, the feed to the NVR is still only going to be about 15% of a 10/100Mbps switch port.
do you have any recomendations? also do you think i have got a good deal on the NVR £90

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You could stick with the Gigabit switch - it's actually a decent price for the spec and brand, and in reality you'd probably only save a tenner going for a 10/100Mbps switch.
You could always re-use it as your network core downstairs when you add more devices to your LAN.
£90 is a perfectly good price for a 7608NI-E2/A

classmaz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply regarding hdd. Do you have a recommendation for the switch?

Thanks
Mike

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are happy with the 8/4PoE-port TP-Link one you linked to earlier, check out the others in that range, plenty to choose from.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no comment, as I haven't used the BV-Tech brand, nor heard anything about it.
But your original TP-Link series is from a well known reliable brand, and that series has plenty of good customer feedback.