HikVision DS - 7608NI-E2 / A issues

Darkjamzi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased this NVR new from amazon and it arrived Wednesday. After having it for 3 days I encountered several issues. I have 4 cameras connected, 1 720P and 3 1080P all support Onvif. Adding them was simple, it found them and I just had to click add. It has firmware 3.3.4 (latest?).

1: all 4 cameras show in live view, 720P on bigger picture, other 3 around it on smaller picture. Though when I double click on one of the 1080P cameras to make it full screen, I get a black screen. When dragging one of those cameras to the bigger picture position, it also gives a black screen. At the start when I first connected the cameras, sometimes they would give a black screen and I had to remove and re-add them. At the moment they give a picture only when not full screen. I had one or two in full screen but this didn't last.

2: recording seems to be hit and miss. yesterday at 9:30am 2 out of 4 cameras stopped recording. 1 camera stopped recording an hour after that. They only resumed recording after I logged into the NVR menu. They are set to record continuously. 720P camera seems to have recorded as normal.

To me it seems all issues are with the 1080P cameras, and would suggest they are bad.........but they have been working for 6 months without issue on a previous el cheappo NVR I replaced with the Hikvision. :rolleyes: so I guess there is an issue with this firmware......... especially as when I re-add one of the 1080P cameras, it seems to work for a couple of minutes and then reverts to black screen.

I do not really mind them not showing full screen in live view (though it would be nice if they did), but them not recording is something that needs to be fixed as I would hate it when something happened and it is not recorded.........I can return this box up until 7 December, so hope to find a solution as the picture quality is excellent! Though I am afraid that nay replacement boxes will have the same issues........ :sad2:

Thanks for any help.

Regards
DJ

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These NVR's dont play nice with random cameras...onvif is not implemented properly by many manufactures and while you may get video, triggers may not work..what brand cameras are you using?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision use a certified ONVIF implementation that may be a bit strict with devices that don't fully or correctly comply with the ONVIF standards.
Having said that - I've used a few low-cost ONVIF compliant cameras on Hikvision NVRs and have been happy with the results.

There is something else you could try, assuming that you are not getting motion alerts via ONVIF for these cameras:
First - find out the valid RTSP strings for the cameras. If you are unsure of them (or even if not this is worth doing), query the cameras with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
The 'RTSP string' is at the bottom of the 'Live Video' page.

On the NVR, change one of the cameras to an RTSP connection by creating a 'Custom Protocol' entry in 'Camera Management' and selecting that when adding new or modifying existing.
That works at a much lower level of command dialogue and should be stable.

Darkjamzi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision use a certified ONVIF implementation that may be a bit strict with devices that don't fully or correctly comply with the ONVIF standards.
Having said that - I've used a few low-cost ONVIF compliant cameras on Hikvision NVRs and have been happy with the results.

There is something else you could try, assuming that you are not getting motion alerts via ONVIF for these cameras:
First - find out the valid RTSP strings for the cameras. If you are unsure of them (or even if not this is worth doing), query the cameras with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net

On the NVR, change one of the cameras to an RTSP connection by creating a 'Custom Protocol' entry in 'Camera Management' and selecting that when adding new or modifying existing.
Hi,

I have the Onvif device manager installed and know the streams, I'll try and add them using the rtsp stream. Will post back with results. Thanks for the tip!

They are low cost cameras, but the 720P one was even lower cost and that seems to be working ok........ 1080P ones are Harex brand....... :rolleyes: Onvif 2.0.....

Do you know of any NVR that supports the Mjpeg streams?

Thanks!

Darkjamzi

n3wb
Reaction score

Tried adding the camera using the custom protocol and rtsp stream........... it doesn't connect, just get the yellow triangle....... ~

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get Live View in ODM it should work just fine with RTSP settings.
Can you show any screenshots of the ODM Live View and the NVR web GUI camera config and Custom protocol settings?
If you still have the camera connected as ONVIF, as well as testing the RTSP connection, perhaps it only supports a single stream.

Darkjamzi

n3wb
Reaction score
If you get Live View in ODM it should work just fine with RTSP settings.
Can you show any screenshots of the ODM Live View and the NVR web GUI camera config and Custom protocol settings?
If you still have the camera connected as ONVIF, as well as testing the RTSP connection, perhaps it only supports a single stream.
Thanks. It was only connected with custom protocol, not Onvif. I attached some pictures.

CS7.PNGCS6.PNGCS5.PNGCS4.PNGCS3.PNGCS2.PNGCS1.PNG

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to use the full RTSP string, including the port, as it shows in the stream path example on your custom protocol screen shot, like so:
rtsp://192.168.0.119:554/live0.264
Best done via the web GUI, in my view.

Darkjamzi

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to use the full RTSP string, including the port, as it shows in the stream path example on your custom protocol screen shot, like so:
rtsp://192.168.0.119:554/live0.264
Best done via the web GUI, in my view.
I tried all flavors, including port number, changing live0 to live1 changing port to 80, none of it seems to work......... just installed imperihome on my phone, choose to add camera, give in rtsp path and bingo it works......... looks like this NVR box is not fit for purpose and sadly has to be returned. :sad2:

thanks for your ideas and help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
looks like this NVR box is not fit for purpose and sadly has to be returned.
I'm sorry, but I disagree, in my and others experience.
I have connected 6 or 7 less well known brands of camera using the 'custom protocol' facility, and it has worked just fine.
Despite the NVR being aimed at it's own-brand cameras, it does a decent job of connecting anything that gives an RTSP stream.

Just one last thing:
You definitely need the port embedded in the path field of the Custom protocol definition, like so: rtsp://192.168.0.119:554/live0.264
Do you get a video image with that same string when using VLC?

Darkjamzi

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I disagree, in my and others experience.
I have connected 6 or 7 less well known brands of camera using the 'custom protocol' facility, and it has worked just fine.
Despite the NVR being aimed at it's own-brand cameras, it does a decent job of connecting anything that gives an RTSP stream.

Just one last thing:
You definitely need the port embedded in the path field of the Custom protocol definition, like so: rtsp://192.168.0.119:554/live0.264
Do you get a video image with that same string when using VLC?
VLC gives crisp and clear image with and without the port number.

with

CS8.PNG

without

CS9.PNG

Same two urls in NVR won't work.

When I say the NVR is not fit for purpose, I meant this particular box, not other boxes from same make or brand. I reset the box to default several times but whatever I try, it won't work..........