Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P and New HD Problem

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
24hrs ago I set up my new Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P and installed a WD Purple HD for storage. The alarm peeping started so I checked the NVR and under the hard disk, it's showing 'Abnormal ' and it states there is no hard disk space free.

I reinitialised the drive but it continues to show up as abnormal.

Do you think my new drive just horribly died? If you think it has, I will need to test it in my desktop mahine.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How big is the HDD?

Filling it up in 24 hrs seems a bit odd.

Try reformatting the drive completely and try again, and as Del Boy states, make sure the overwrite is enabled.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Left the NVR off last night and this morning all seems fine when I switched it on. The hard drive is showing up ok (3TB btw) so not sure what went wrong.

I formatted the drive but I will do some playback later to see if recordings are ok. Very strange though.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Left the NVR off last night and this morning all seems fine when I switched it on. The hard drive is showing up ok (3TB btw) so not sure what went wrong.

I formatted the drive but I will do some playback later to see if recordings are ok. Very strange though.
I've had this before after not rebooting the NVR for over a month. But not 24 hours!

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update.

Everyday I checked the NVR, I was presented with a message telling me the drive isn't initialised so I took the HDD out and stuck it in my desktop machine and used WD Data Lifeguard to check the drive.

It couldn't complete the scan because it found too many bad sectors.

Drive didn't even last a day.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just an update.

Everyday I checked the NVR, I was presented with a message telling me the drive isn't initialised so I took the HDD out and stuck it in my desktop machine and used WD Data Lifeguard to check the drive.

It couldn't complete the scan because it found too many bad sectors.

Drive didn't even last a day.
Wow. I'm getting direct from manufacturer refurb drives for my NAS, even though there is a lot of uneducated opinion (on both sides of the argument) for and against it. Unlike brand-spanking-new, all manufacturer refurb drives are tested, so this won't happen. This is my opinion only, but I feel the QA on refurb drives is much better than that of production-line drives and most refurb ones are simply returns within the cool-down period. If a drive is really bad that has been returned, I feel they will just bin it as it costs too much to fix.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just completed the RMA with WD and a new one will be with me on Tuesday. I buy a lot of HDD's and this was my first Purple. Seagate are the worst and have been for the past 20yrs with me. At least it's not the NVR.

Just wondering for the likes of this NVR, would it be better to stick another HDD in and have two so if one fails, the other one is there to keep the recording going or does that not work in that way?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it will work that way, they work one on one off, so if one fails the second one will continue to work on its own.