Hikvision DS-7216HUHI-F2/S DVR updated with wrong firmware

andy72

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I would appreciate an advice about a firmware update that went wrong. After update, the DVR goes into a boot loop. I tried to connect with RS232 TTL but I cannot stop the boot sequence with CTRL+u. I attached the log from Putty. Please help me to recover the DVR. Thank you.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I attached the log from Putty.
That file appears to be seriously corrupted.
You need to check out the serial TTL connections / interface first before any sense can be made of the problem.
Did you connect up to an on-board 4-pin connector or to a back panel DB9 connector?

andy72

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I have connected the onboard 4 pin header. The USB to RS232 TTL is a PL2303. I'll try to find a MAX232 based converter (level converter), so I'll be able to use a standard RS232 PC port.
Back to file I attached, it made sense to me that once some of the strings are readable the comm between PC and DVR is OK. The fact that it contains a lot of "garbage" might be caused by the wrong firmware. Is there a way to flash the EEPROM off the mainboard ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The PL2303 device will be perfectly fine.
Even with the wrong firmware there should not be garbage characters.
Did you log the transcript using the 'copy all to clipboard' in PuTTY? Did the screen show the same as the file you posted?

Sometimes the raw log using the PuTTY inbuilt logging facility can include formatting characters that can affect the output.

andy72

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
It seems that PL2303 was faulty. Ordered a different USB to RS232 TTL. After replacing PL2303 with CH340 all data received from DVR was OK. Breaking into boot loop with Ctrl+u and firmware flashing went smooth... Finally...

As a bonus, I also revived a Hikvision DS-KV8102-IM TCP/IP outdoor intercom unit. It was lying around for a while because of a broken firmware.

Emad Hamid

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem now... Will you please guide me to the right firmware for my DVR model : Hikvision DS-7216HUHI-F2/S

Appreciate yout help