Hikvision DS-2DF8225IX-AEL PTZ running on solar power

Reaction score
Hi guys

Has anybody done this exercise. I have tried the local solar power companies and everyone comes up with different requirement for my setup.

I need to power the PTZ using 24VAC or POE+ and a Wireless Sender using 24v DC (Ubiquiti M5)

Thanks

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
are you hoping to just use a solar panel, or a solar system with charge controller and a decent battery setup to provide the power feed to the camera?

The panel only will struggle to provide a stable 1 or 2A feed I would think, especially if there is any cloud cover and as the sun progresses through its arc as the day ticks by, giving more/less output from the panel so the camera operability may well be intermittent. Then of course at night there'd be no power.

For the battery bank approach you'd need to size up the batteries according to the max drain rate you anticipate for the camera which will vary when using the PTZ functions and also any IR. The batteries are likely to be either SLA (bulky, heavy) or Lithium (smaller, lighter and expensive) and the panels would need to be sized to deliver a lot more current than the camera drain if you hope to recover charge during sunlight hours.

All in a pretty expensive way to go compared to powering it from the normal main electrical feed, any particular reason for wanting to do it this way?

Reaction score
Hi

I need the system to run from batteries. I am not sure how the customer will use the PTZ. We can set it up to do patrols today and he can change his mind the next day. So difficult to tell.

The main reason for the PTZ is the 200m IR.

Seeing that it uses 24VAC i must properly add a inverter?

None of the local solar supplier can tell me
How many batteries, how strong the batteries, do i need a inverter, size of the panels and so on.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if it has to be AC then you will need something on the output load side to convert DC-AC and be capable to support the full load draw, bearing in mind that this will itself bleed power from the battery back just doing the conversion as it will be lossy. Whether you can obtain a unit to do that and deliver 24v AC or go to delivering mains voltages and then use a PSU to step that back to 24V will depend on whats available, likewise true sinewave or stepped for the AC, will the camera work with either or has to have true sinewave?

Without looking at the camera specs I've no idea what the max full load current requirement is but I'd expect for 200m IR it will be a few amps on top of the camera and PTZ mechanism. Any provider would need to know this information before they could attempt to size a system (panels, battery bank etc) and you'd need to factor in varying day lengths and over capacity to cope with days where non-optimal conditions affect the solar output capability.