Hikvision DS-2CD2086G2-IU - PoE failed + now only negotiates to 10Mbps

lecce

n3wb
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before...

DS-2CD2086G2-IU, B-R-G3-0, V5.5.801 build 211105

PoE-powered camera one day stopped working. Mounted under a porch out of the rain, exposed to temperatures around -5C to 35C. Solid core Cat 5 run of around 10 feet. No sign of any cable damage, and the cable tests fine.

Brought the camera inside and connected it directly with a 1m sold core lead to my PoE switch - but it doesn't power on. I've read one or two examples online of these cameras PoE module failing suddenly, so I tried powering it via the 12V DC power jack instead using a Netgear 12V 1A adapter (camera says it only needs 0.5A @ 12V). Camera will boot up instantly when the 12V DC is connected, suggesting the PoE module may indeed have died.

However, it will not negotiate above 10Mbps to my Netgear switch. I've tried forcing 100mbps and you can see the switch make 3-4 attempts to negotiate, before giving up and falling back to 10Mbps. Hmm.

I can get a third party PoE to 12V DC splitter cheaply enough and put the camera back up, if it's just the PoE module failing and this is a reasonably well known issue. However, the 10Mbps speed is more of an issue for two reasons: a) These are 4k cameras and I'm using both the main stream and substream, and the main stream is set to 16Mbps, so 10Mbps causes dropouts and b) if the camera is on its way out and likely to die, I'd rather replace it now - last thing I want is it failing at 3am, or while I'm away.

Camera was second hand so no warranties.

Grateful for any thoughts or similar experiences...

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since poe can work with 2 pairs i suggest crimping only 1,2,3,6(orange and green pair) Do not force gigabit and try to get 100mbit. Perhaps gigabit tx,rx are shorting inside camera and making a problem.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No sign of any cable damage
Where are you looking to determine this?
Have you looked inside the socket on the camera pigtail?

Depending on how you're testing the cable it may very well test fine but still be incapable of sustained data/power transfer.

lecce

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies.

@trempa92 I can try a Cat5 old school cable as you say and see if that helps. Though a bit nervous of the idea of the camera shorting somewhere- not a healthy state to be in.

@looktall Ah, when I meant the cable is fine I meant the Cat5e run from switch to camera, not the pigtail lead. I have ruled out the cable run anyway by taking the camera down and plugging it in directly with a short cable.

With the pigtail lead - you're correct I haven't any way of testing that. I had a look and there is no obvious damage or corrosion to the pins. Short of cutting the RJ45 off and wiring a new one (which I've seen various instructions here on how to do as its non-standard) not sure what other options are there? I tried wiggling the cable a bit but that's not helping. The flex does feel quite soft, are the cables susceptible to a previous rough installer I wonder..

It surprises me a little as the camera has been installed for some time and the cable won't have experienced any movement, but I guess heat/cold over time doesn't help.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies.

@trempa92 I can try a Cat5 old school cable as you say and see if that helps. Though a bit nervous of the idea of the camera shorting somewhere- not a healthy state to be in.

@looktall Ah, when I meant the cable is fine I meant the Cat5e run from switch to camera, not the pigtail lead. I have ruled out the cable run anyway by taking the camera down and plugging it in directly with a short cable.

With the pigtail lead - you're correct I haven't any way of testing that. I had a look and there is no obvious damage or corrosion to the pins. Short of cutting the RJ45 off and wiring a new one (which I've seen various instructions here on how to do as its non-standard) not sure what other options are there? I tried wiggling the cable a bit but that's not helping. The flex does feel quite soft, are the cables susceptible to a previous rough installer I wonder..

It surprises me a little as the camera has been installed for some time and the cable won't have experienced any movement, but I guess heat/cold over time doesn't help.
Water kills pigtails if they are not protected with the waterproof connector sleeve

lecce

n3wb
Reaction score
Would that apply to just airborne moisture though? This is under a porch with no chance of any water ingress.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that applies even with no chance of water ingress- temperature changes can induce drawing moisture out of the air. It is why best practice is to put dielectric grease on the connectors. You could have corrosion there that you don't see.

People have had good success using Deox on the connections and it removing unseen corrosion if that is the issue.

lecce

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it, thanks all. Ordered a small tube of DeoxIt and will plan to take down all my outdoor cameras, DeOxit over the weekend, then put back up with dielectric grease in the connectors. Fingers crossed that also brings this one back to life. The contacts look fine, and some WD40 Contact Cleaner (not the regular lubricant) hasn't helped, but I'd rather spend five quid on a DeoxIt tube than give up on a decent camera!