Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Post a screen shot of your gain slider.
Everyone wants their gain slider @ljw2k, I have started something here :). Between the forum I am sure we will figure out what has happened to the missing gain sliders :)

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Everyone wants their gain slider @ljw2k, I have started something here :). Between the forum I am sure we will figure out what has happened to the missing gain sliders :)
Hikvision does not do gain sliders. Dahua does. I'm calling him out and asking to post proof of his gain slider.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could @ljw2k 's gain slider be a new Covid side effect :)

I do hope you have a smooth recovery @ljw2k much more important than the camera but I would like to see what effect lowering the gain has on ColorVu and blurred motion

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind @ljw2k said it was only available in his 2.8mm camera and not the 4mm....and @pozzello said it best:

Bad marketecture at work! The 4mm lens will inherently gather less light than the 2.8mm, so in order to meet their claimed '.0005 lux' rating (or at least get closer) with the 4mm, they must have pinned the gain up high and removed the control. lame...
Partly explains why the comparison @Night-Owl did several posts early comparing the Hik and Dahua is a little more difficult as the Dahua was double the lens size...but even so it shows how playing with gain can do wonders to a static image...

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did not see that post and I'm honestly shocked to see that. Thanks for providing proof
I am just trying to keep the calm around here, think I might have to apply for a peace keeper job on this forum at this rate :). On a more positive note, I have just sold to a forum member 1 of the 2 used cameras I had, that means theirs 1 left if anyone else is on the hunt for a bargain. Thank you

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Keep in mind @ljw2k said it was only available in his 2.8mm camera and not the 4mm....and @pozzello said it best:
I have the 2.8mm camera but no slider...

Just tried a few silly things... turning off H265+ , setting exposure to 1/60 since that's what @ljwk2 was using, tried different scenes normal, back light, low illumination, custom1 but still no gain slider

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the 2.8mm camera but no slider...

Just tried a few silly things... turning off H265+ , setting exposure to 1/60 since that's what @ljwk2 was using, tried different scenes normal, back light, low illumination, custom1 but still no gain slider
I tried such earlier also, convinced this must be a setting thing as I only was aware of 2 firmwares, the original it came with and the updated one on the post, I have one camera on each and neither has the gain slider.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Here we go from 30% - 80% on gain slider. All @1/120th Sec. I find 60% is best

30% Gain
30.jpg

40% Gain

40.jpg

50% Gain
50.jpg

60% gain

60.jpg

70% Gain
70.jpg

80% Gain

80.jpg

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I am just trying to keep the calm around here, think I might have to apply for a peace keeper job on this forum at this rate :). On a more positive note, I have just sold to a forum member 1 of the 2 used cameras I had, that means theirs 1 left if anyone else is on the hunt for a bargain. Thank you
Try forum member
Dave Lonsdale

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Hikvision does not do gain sliders. Dahua does. I'm calling him out and asking to post proof of his gain slider.
this is patently not true. i have many Hik cams. my 2032's have it. my 2342wd-i on V5.5.82 build 190220 does NOT.
My T2347G(1) does have it, as I posted earlier in this thread. So either Hik occasionally decides to hide it for some reason (marketecture!) or some versions of teh FW are simply buggy...

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I just changed Day/Night switch from auto to day and bingo I have a gain slider defaulted to 100!
Yes I always set my camera's to Day ONLY as I have enough street lights outside to keep it in colour Day & Night. maybe I was wrong with the 4mm version then as it was reset back to factory maybe I forgot to change that to Day if someone can confirm on a 4mm lens.
I have always had Dahua myself and still getting use to the Hikvision GUI.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I always set my camera's to Day ONLY as I have enough street lights outside to keep it in colour Day & Night. maybe I was wrong with the 4mm version then as it was reset back to factory maybe I forgot to change that to Day if someone can confirm on a 4mm lens.
Logging on again, confirmation on way .....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here we go from 30% - 80% on gain slider. All @1/120th Sec. I find 60% is best

30% Gain
View attachment 83003

40% Gain

View attachment 83004

50% Gain
View attachment 83005

60% gain

View attachment 83006

70% Gain
View attachment 83007

80% Gain

View attachment 83008
What a great example in one location showing how a camera gain can be used (and some intentionally by manufacturers that don't allow adjustments) to make a camera look nice and bright as a still image as that is what the average consumer wants without concern or understanding of motion. I bet someone walking by at higher gains probably do not look as well as the lower ones! And I bet average user would prefer the 70 or 80% gain based on the static picture.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just changed Day/Night switch from auto to day and bingo I have a gain slider defaulted to 100!
Wow - seems like a weird location...but not really I guess as that forces the camera to go to high gain for night then...

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have always had Dahua myself and still getting use to the Hikvision GUI.
Hi all, this is confirmed, I have 4mm and when changed to Day, Gain Slider is shown at default 100%. The case of the missing gain slider is resolved :).