Hikvision cameras look horrible on ION NVR?

Haruhiism

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of NSC-2X4-DM cameras with 4 MP, they look great on the Live View online viewer, but when I add them to my 8 channel ION NVR they look absolutely terrible. I have changed the encoding settings on both the NVR and the cameras to the highest (on the NVR, even when I change the encoding setting and click OK, they go back to their lowest encoding settings), I have upgraded both the NVR's and the cameras' firmware; all to no avail. The thing is, I have two DS-2CD2132 cameras on that same ION NVR and they look fantastic.

I have tried looking this up an using the search engine of the forum and I haven't been able to come up with anything that works. Any help would be seriously appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...when the NVR is in matrix view you are viewing the substream..max out those settings.

Haruhiism

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, that I know, but when I maximize each camera individually it still looks terrible.

Haruhiism

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe the max substream for the 4mp is lower than the 3mp...
This is what I have for my substream (currently maxed out):
sub.JPG

and this is what I have for my main stream (almost maxed out):
main.JPG
The quality on the ION improves a little, but as you said, it seems to be using the substream even when I am trying to see the mainstream. Anyway to make it so that the ION uses the mainstream to record off of, and to view when not in matrix view?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I have for my substream (currently maxed out):

and this is what I have for my main stream (almost maxed out):

The quality on the ION improves a little, but as you said, it seems to be using the substream even when I am trying to see the mainstream. Anyway to make it so that the ION uses the mainstream to record off of, and to view when not in matrix view?
The ion likely does not support 4mp...you need to reduce the main stream to a supported resolution.

Haruhiism

n3wb
Reaction score
The ion likely does not support 4mp...you need to reduce the main stream to a supported resolution.
Under mainstream, I already have tried doing 1920x1080 for the resolution instead of 2688x1520. Is that not lowering from 4 MP to about 3 MP then?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Under mainstream, I already have tried doing 1920x1080 for the resolution instead of 2688x1520. Is that not lowering from 4 MP to about 3 MP then?
That is 2mp..did you set that in the actual camera?

Haruhiism

n3wb
Reaction score
Contact Nelly's support...
I will do that.

If I do purchase another NVR however, Nelly's has the NSN608 8P, but I can find no information on it; is it any good? Also, the DS-7616NI-E2/8P seems to be a solid choice but I cannot find a reliable seller that only sells the US version. Any advice there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will do that.

If I do purchase another NVR however, Nelly's has the NSN608 8P, but I can find no information on it; is it any good? Also, the DS-7616NI-E2/8P seems to be a solid choice but I cannot find a reliable seller that only sells the US version. Any advice there?
I dont know..it might just be a setting...
there are others here who have more detailed knowledge about standalone NVR models...I dont use them..