Hikvision camera, port number and NAT

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an inteno 150B router and only one camera (Hikvision darkfighter) and everything work nice from start, but later I have got some problem may be because someone has hacked it. Looking into manual several times I still don't know what is preferred - what port number I should choose.

Using no-ip I can login on ivms4200 on my computer (http:// + hostname + :80) but some friends advise me to map the router with extern port 2xx80 and intern port 80. Simular with 443 and may be 554. But no-ip can't deliver the port and IE always put :80 in the end. Have anyone a solution to this?

Using 443 the same thing happen (https:// + hostname + :443).

Using android mobil or ipad :8000 is added back and I am not sure it will work if I use something else. (8000 cames up automatic when config these devices).

Question: Would you advise me to use different extern port as mentioned above. Would this be more safe and how to overcome login difficulties? Should the ipad be config with 28000 (or simular) and not 8000?

I have another question too: In ivms-4200 - section NAT the RTSP 554 port have Status "Not Valid" spite it seems OK using Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router
The same for HTTP 80 port, but this one function OK. What can be the reason for the Not Valid? The NAT page has also 8000 Server port (all with the same extern ip) and this one is Valid.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

If you want to throw caution to the wind and use port forwarding anyway (and not a VPN) then it is good advice at least to use a non-standard port number. It reduces your chances of being hit by a random hacking attempt, BUT IT CAN STILL HAPPEN.

As for your port forwarding problems, we don't understand well enough how you are accessing things to even guess what you are doing wrong. A VPN will let you bypass all of that complexity and safely use standard port numbers.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, bp2008.
As to VPN I have ExpressVPN but found that my Remote router - an inteno could not be installed with routervpn. An alternative was asus 86u as a second router, but through contact with their support it is established as a fact that I can't use ExpressVPN to my purpose which was to put the camera via Ethernet to the asus. They instead recommend me to put the Ethernet from the camera to the inteno which don't give any vpn security. If I drop the first router and move the asus as the first one instead, I will miss contact with my camera as the vpnrouter is not designed for such connection. May be I have bought a wrong vpn, but looking around the internet for some weeks I haven't seen any solution for Remote contact via vpn to camera. Several tells me that vpn of course can be installed on my home computer and that can be some Security when I am Remote to my camera far away, but as this isn't the case - which should be better security for the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, bp2008.
As to VPN I have ExpressVPN but found that my Remote router - an inteno could not be installed with routervpn. An alternative was asus 86u as a second router, but through contact with their support it is established as a fact that I can't use ExpressVPN to my purpose which was to put the camera via Ethernet to the asus. They instead recommend me to put the Ethernet from the camera to the inteno which don't give any vpn security. If I drop the first router and move the asus as the first one instead, I will miss contact with my camera as the vpnrouter is not designed for such connection. May be I have bought a wrong vpn, but looking around the internet for some weeks I haven't seen any solution for Remote contact via vpn to camera. Several tells me that vpn of course can be installed on my home computer and that can be some Security when I am Remote to my camera far away, but as this isn't the case - which should be better security for the camera.
Expressvpn is the wrong type of vpn and is useless in providing security to you. READ the link provided to you.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And again, thank you very much, Fenderman.