HikVision and Remote Connect on DSL

ABLE1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here. As an intro, I am in South Central Pennsylvania, USA and have been a Low Voltage Contractor for about 28 years.
I have installed a number of DVR/NVR's over the years. This project is my third HikVision to date. Their seems to be a fair
amount of HikVision knowledge floating around in here, so I thought this to be a good place to ask a question.

I have recently installed a HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P with HikVision DS-2CD2332-I cameras. All have the latest firmware installed.

First time I have connected a Hikvision NVR to a DSL service provider. I have set up on HikVision DDNS server for
remote view and all ports are open in router as needed. I have connected via the mobile app on my iPhone, no problem.

However, I am having trouble getting connected remotely on Web Interface using Internet Explorer and as well with iVMS-4200.
I do suspect that the problem is due primarily with the DLS upload speed of .385mb/s

My question is how can I get around this or does it just not work at that upload speed?? When I tried to connect a few times I did get the
log on screen but most time IE just hangs as waiting for the device to connect. I thought I might consider using the second stream but don't know
how to get the NVR to do that as an output.

Or am I missing something obvious somewhere??

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Les

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming the plugin is installed, it may be trying to connect to some other port like 8000 and it might not be forwarded correctly.

You should be able to remote view even with that low upload speed as long as you view the sub stream and have it set to an appropriately low bit rate.

ABLE1

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have ports 80, 8000, 10554 open to the static IP of the NVR.

Where do I find a setting for the sub stream to change the bit rate?? Is this something other than default???

Thanks,

Les

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have ports 80, 8000, 10554 open to the static IP of the NVR.
I do hope that you have explained to the customer that there is some risk to their network of having these NVR ports open to the big bad internet?
These boxes are not exactly hardened internet appliances.

ABLE1

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL Yes, I talked him out of placing cameras inside the house.

So on that note, what is a hardened internet appliance that is ok for the "big bad internet"??
Keeping in mind that if the world if full of hackers and anti-hackers(that use to be hackers) such as those employed by the NSA and others. :)

As we all know the only "safe" system is one that is not plugged in.

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
error

Last edited by a moderator:

ABLE1

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't mean port 443?? I just checked another NVR and it listed 443 as the HTTPS port.
I don't recall 554 or 443 being listed in the DS-7608NI-E2/8P.

Also I did not know that Firefox would work. Always understood that IE was necessary. I will investigate.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

ABLE1

n3wb
Reaction score
Update:
Have not traveled to the site as yet. Therefor have not made any changes however, the past few times that I have tried to connect remotely I have had different reactions.

Reaction #1: I get the log in screen and log in.
Interface pops up with just one camera showing movement.
Then it freezes the picture, and a popup at the bottom indicates the IP address is not respond and <recover>
Upon clicking on <recover> the log in screen come up again but this time I see [not responding]

Reaction #2: I get the log in screen and log in. But that is where it stops. [not responding]

Reaction #3: I get the log in screen and log in. I get one camera up and running briefly.
Then a pop up stating that a "script is running too long" <stop script>
Upon clicking on <stop script> I get a <not responding>

Reaction #4: I get the log in screen and log in. I get one camera up and running briefly.
Then I wait and 3 more cameras come up, (7 on system) some running others frozen.
Then I click on configuration and the menu comes up and I can move around quite easily.
Once I click on <Live View> all freezes and I am back to <not responding>.
This only happened one time since I have been working with the problem.

It seems to me that the data can't transmit fast enough with the DSL.

Is there some setting that I am not seeing that will limit the bandwidth to something that will make it run better??

Again thanks for any assist.

Les