Hikvision 8MP DS-2CD2T87G2-L + Blueiris PC specs and hardware needed to cope with 8mp plus other cameras?

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking at getting the Hikvision 8MP DS-2CD2T87G2-L camera, I would have gone for the 4MP version but it don't seem to be available. So 8MP with Blue iris but maybe run at 6mp. My concern is a 8mp requirements will exceed my set up. Purpos for set up is Night to fit all specifications of DORI.

Server PC. (I will upgrade this if this is the only bottleneck.)

i5 2600k
8gb ram
basic GPU
2x mechanical HDD.
Connected to route via Ethernet.

Internet Fiber.

Down @ 72mbps Up @ 17mbps
Router is a Sagecom 5364 -3 T8

Cameras:

Reolink 422w @3.7mp (wifi connected via TP RE450 extender)
Reolink 423 PTZ @ 3mp (connected via Poe)
v380 @ 720P (wifi connected via TP RE450 extender)

Planned Purchase
:

Blueiris 5 upgrade from 4
MokerLink 4 Port PoE Switch
Hikvision 8MP DS-2CD2T87G2-L

Replace v380 720 cam with 4MP DS-2CD2347G2-LU
Add another 4MP DS-2CD2347G2-LU to another location
Use Cat 6 cable for new cams.

I plan to upgrade Pc at some point, looking at a 6700k system with 16gb ram, SSD boot drive with 4TB HDD

Total cameras will be 5
8mp
3.7mp
3mp
4mp
4mp

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. As I need to Identify a persons face I do need megapixels as I have not as of yet seen any camera offers a clear face at distance. From what I understand if the person is at close proximity a lower MP camera can be used but further away you need to zoom in on the footage and that's where the power of megapixels come in. I don't need 8mp but it seems that the 4mp model is not about to purchase. I will read them links as I may be the wrong ad am willing to learn more about this. If I can get a sharp clear picture in the dark at 3mp for example and can get the details then that's all I care about.

Dan

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You misunderstand, you need a camera with a proper lens. Digitally zooming in on the picture will fail almost always.
Study the Cliff Notes.
Thank, Im learning this stuff a bit more now. So varifocal, or fixed lens with a 4mm or 6mm which gets you closer on the object while decreasing the fov. When I say zoom I mean not behind its actual pixel limits but to crop a higher res image into a lower res will in effect zoom in, like recording in 4k and producing a 1080p video allows you to zoom in due to extra pixels from the 4k footage. I would conclude in that case that by using a bigger MP camera you can get the best of both worlds, a wider angle 2.8mm lens but zoom in one an area of that larger image. This does not account for quality of sensor which Im about to look into now. Im mid reading the link you posted. What I have got from it so far is at night a 8mp vs 2mp does not offer better clarity by that much due to the quality lost. I see this much like purchasing a point and shoot camera that's cheap but thinking large image is a better one where as the sensor and lens is what offers the quality rather than a huge bad image.

So far it seems to me a 4mp 4mm camera offers somewhere between. Now its the case to find out if Hikvision colourvu with acusence has a better option found in other brands.

I have had my car smashed up recently right on my own drive way. My CCTV footage was not clear enough but they covered their faces. The next best thing I could have got was colour of the clothes. The accusenc may well provide better motion detection that Blueiris can via its human detection. Acusence could then trigger off the led lights which acts as a deterrent.

Dan

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1)sensor size is the critical component of a camera, the larger the better use a 1/1.8 sensor.
2) the lens is the next factor, a bigger number the less field of view, the more range, the more pixels per inch, use a 6mm lens to identify peoples faces. A 2,8 lens will show you what happens, but not id the bad guy.
3) mega pixels, The more megapixels the less light per pixel, The best size camera for viewing faces is currently 4MP.
4) mounting location is critical for face identification, no higher than 7ft up.

Test at night with motion, verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

========================================

Computer for BI
1) a 6th generation or newer i5 or i7 intel CPU
2) 16 GB memory
3) at least a 120 GB SSD for the C drive ( you do not need any bigger.)
4) a 4 TB or bigger WD purple drive.

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1)sensor size is the critical component of a camera, the larger the better use a 1/1.8 sensor.
2) the lens is the next factor, a bigger number the less field of view, the more range, the more pixels per inch, use a 6mm lens to identify peoples faces. A 2,8 lens will show you what happens, but not id the bad guy.
3) mega pixels, The more megapixels the less light per pixel, The best size camera for viewing faces is currently 4MP.
4) mounting location is critical for face identification, no higher than 7ft up.

Test at night with motion, verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

Computer for BI
2) 16 GB memory
Very nice post ! Will help many ppl

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Cameras to look at

Computer for BI
2) 16 GB memory
Thank you, Im for referring back to this often as I go.

Dan