HikVision 7608NI/SE died... and then replacement unit also dies!

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there

I got a HikVision 7608NI/SE, with 5 x HikVision DS-2CD2132-I 3MP cameras back in early May. 4 of the cams are connected directly to the NVR's 4 PoE ports; the 5th via a PoE port on a TP-Link TL-SF1008P. The NVR is connected to the LAN through the TP-Link switch (on non-PoE ports).

Some weeks ago, the NVR just died in the middle of the night (no lightning-storms or anything going on. TP-Link and NVR also on same electrical phase). I removed the NVR from it's place and connected a VGA-monitor and mouse to it... nothing. Unit was shipped back to supplier, who took it apart and apparently identified some "lightly charred" components on the board.

Then I got a replacement unit (with older firmware, so couldn't import my settings from the first unit - and couldn't update firmware either! Hmm!); configured it with my monitor and mouse connected to it; set IP-address to something which would be useful in my LAN; chekced that video was indeed available from the 5th camera - and then installed it in it's usual place and connected the 4 cameras to it (5th cam already connected via IP-Link switch). Then tried connecting to it via LAN - nothing? Disconnected everything, and returned it to my monitor/mouse-testbed - nothing (does seem to go some of the way in terms of booting; double-beeps and LEDs light up (power LED constant green + Tx/Rx flashing green) but otherwise nothing).

Then checked all cables with a LAN-tester - no problems detected. TP-Link switch works flawlessly; got a wireless router serving as wireless AP connected to it which works perfectly.

Per supplier's recommendation, I then disassembled the board (yes, I know what I am doing - electrical engineer), and took a handfull of pictures of the board for initial analysis by supplier/HikVision (one pic attached).

Anyone out there who has had similar experiences?! I am completely baffled about what's going on here! Don't want to receive yet another unit which then just inexplicably dies..!

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Regards,

Bo

Attachments

Reaction score
has moisture infiltrated the connections at the camera?
having your background... i bet you already checked input voltage to the nvr.
keep drip loops at your camera connections.

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - well, all connections are (should be!) protected from moisture, as they are under the roof. If any short-circuits had occured due to moisture, I would expect my LAN-tester to show some kind of fault. As for the voltage, the switch and access point runs on the same outlet - and we typically have very stable power supply here in Denmark..

Drip loops does seem like a good idea, though!

BR Bo

Reaction score
looks like the over heated pins are on a prom??? any burst caps or bulging resistors?
you may have to power each camera one at a time and live view with built in software.
at the least, narrow it down to just the nvr and/or power issue...
also did you get a replacement power supply or is it built in on this model?

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very difficult to tell what has been overheated and what might be due to sub-standard soldering.. All components on the top-side looks pristine. It was a completely new unit with new power sup, as far as I can tell. Maybe I should plug the cams into the PoE switch I have, as you suggest - and see what happens (would hate to kill the switch, though!).

Reaction score
most likely wont damage the switch, do you have power supply for a phone? a little ingenuity to get power to each camera. keep it off the network cable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there's a shit ton of flux residue on that board; surprised they did not clean it properly.. is X2 burnt?

do you have any kind of surge protection? battery backup? equipment grounding?

Reaction score
there's a shit ton of flux residue on that board; surprised they did not clean it properly.. is X2 burnt?

do you have any kind of surge protection? battery backup? equipment grounding?
sure looks like it, + imprint like its fused..
@ Drbro: is Denmark 240v euro compliant

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just took a picture of the component-side of the PCB - everything seems OK..?

I do not have any UPS/surge protection, but as already mentioned, power is quite stable here - have not had anything die due to surges etc. ("famous last words"?!?!). We have quite standardized 230 VAC supply here.

Tried hooking up one cam through the PoE-switch, but seems that it has had its IP-address changed by the NVR, so it's not on my 192.168.1.xxx LAN... maybe have to power the cams with std. 5V PS and hook them directly to a PC.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not so much having great power as it is your sticking metal cameras outside wiring em into your network; you dont have to be hit by lightning to have ESD damage... just lightning hitting in the area means there is static in the air, you can see lightning effect an OTA TV broadcast for quite a distance.

if your PoE switch/NVR does not have a 3 prong power look to see if it has a chassis ground you can hookup, might consider putting PoE surge suppressors on your OD cameras.. If you have OD Cameras going right into your POE NVR w/no other path to ground it'd be really easy to kill with just a lil ESD; might be able to tazer your camera and kill ur NVR :p

Alot of times people mount it on side of wood/vynil and do not ground the cameras; that means even a little static discharge is going to be grounded via the ethernet..

This is one advantage to using EMT Conduit is you can ground it and mount your camera to a grounded metal box.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nayr, I fully acknowledge and agree on what you are pointing out - very relevant issues! As for the layout of the AC power supply here in Denmark, it is not until recently that ground wires have been part of the installation in residential buildings. The bulk of residential buildings here are from the 60s-70s, and ground wiring is not part of the "package". Instead, ground fault protectors have been mandatory since 1991. While these protect people from >30 mAmps, there for sure does not protect sensitive equipment! It is not trivial for me to ground everything, even if we indeed have a ground wire (connected to the water-supply pipe) - but this is only used or the 3-phase (400 VAC) outlets e.g. in the kitchen. I would have to pull a separate ground-wire to the relevant outlets..

However, with all that said, I still cannot understand why the 2nd NVR apparently just died straight away?!?!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that sucks about your grounding situation, surely does not help if none of your gear has a ground..

We all suspect power issues being you burnt 2 NVR's fairly quickly and your using straight main power (with apparently no ground anywhere to be found).. not alot of users here are running them with the voltage inputs you are either.

surge protectors and power conditioners wont be popular in your area if nobody has grounding outlets; they wont do much.

are you using the same power supply as before? what is common here?

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No luck yet... both PCBs have been returned to HikVision for detailed analysis. Seems they are quite puzzled about what has happened (gone wrong). Distributor did however suggest using surge suppressors between the NVR and my LAN, and would probably come up with something.

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just received info that the PCB of the 1st NVR had now been tested and seemed to perform OK - HikVision even made a video and put on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdemBKsxRPM&feature=youtu.be.

It did however prompt me to write to the distributor with some comments and questions:

Thanks for the update. It worries me a lot, that a power failure (either accidental or due to switching the power-switch) may result in damage to the firmware! It should be impossible to accidentally write to the flash-RAM.. Another thing is that the NVR died in the middle of the night, with no obvious power-failure occurring.

Furthermore, the firmware installed originally (I believe it was V2.3.7 Build140327) was relatively unstable, with frequent instances of the NVR freezing and becoming impossible to contact – and then the only way to reboot it was to perform a cold-start (i.e., switching power off and the on). I also notice that the NVR has now been downgraded to V2.3.7 Build131112 – is there any particular reason for this, since V3.0.9 Build140928 seems to be available? IF V3.0.9 is more stable, it would definitely improve my experience with the NVR.

I hope and trust that I will receive a PCB which is now 100% functioning.

PS! The video does not show any test of the LAN connection, but I assume it is working

Anyway, I hope to have the NVR up and running soon - and for a bit longer than a few months... :wondering:

As for the 2nd PCB, the jury is still out... :unsure:

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know - but twice...?! :confused3:

Would assume that someone else had had the same kind of experience (and that HikVision would know)?!

Reaction score
thanks for the update drbo, nice to see support is available and working. keep us posted on the second board.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would bet more of a firmware bug your experiencing; dont update unless you have too..

Your not sitting ontop of the LHC by any chance? :p