HikConnect giving alert notifications two weeks into the future

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got an I-series NVR on the latest firmware, eight 2355 cams on the latest firmware, and the newest version of HikConnect on a Galaxy S9.

A couple of days ago I got about a dozen alerts/notifications on the app of smart events. The events did happen that day, but the alerts were dated November 28th. The next day I got another dozen or so alerts that were for that day, but dated November 29th. All subsequent alerts are dated properly.

Unfortunately I am unable to delete these alerts from the 28th and 29th. They will not delete in bulk, nor will they delete one at a time. In either case they do disappear for a split second but then they immediately reappear. If I "pull up" on the screen for "more notifications" it simply loads more and more batches of the same alerts from the 28th and 29th.

Time zone, time, NTP, and DST in the NVR and cameras are all correct. I've not fooled with any settings on the NVR, cameras, or HikConnect prior to this happening, nor have there been any recent firmware upgrades for any of this equipment or my phone. It just happened out of the blue. I can't even find out where these damn things are stored so I can delete them. I searched the phone using Ghost Commander but nothing is there, and of course there is nothing on the NVR under those dates. Clicking on the notifications in the app to play the video gives an error. Another quirk - all alerts for both days are from the exact same time, 1:50p.m.

I've deleted HikConnect and downgraded through three other versions of the app, and as soon as I sign in the damn things reappear instantly.

Any ideas what happened, how to fix, or how to delete these strange notifications?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is the clock on the NVR was temporarily wrong when those events happened, and that Hikvision's software handles events with a future timestamp very poorly. Disappearing and then reappearing when you try to delete is easily explained. The app would delete or hide the records in its own memory before receiving confirmation from the server that the delete was successful. So the split second where the events are gone is just the time before the app learns that the delete command has failed.

Since you're using an NVR, it is possible that it was hacked by someone on the internet who then messed around with it. NVRs are extremely common targets for hacking, so if it was accessible from the internet without the use of a VPN, then anything is possible.

Or there could just be a bug in the system and you were unlucky enough to be affected.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, no, I don't have any idea how to delete the events if the controls provided by Hikvision don't work. I've never used a Hikvision NVR.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. NVR is isolated, and the logs show no outside login attempts - or any logins that are not mine.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Who'd have thought an Hikvision NVR would hold the secret!

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a wild guess, but maybe if you set the date of your nvr or phone past the dates of the notifications you can delete them..?

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a wild guess, but maybe if you set the date of your nvr or phone past the dates of the notifications you can delete them..?
Great ideas and thank you. If I reset the date to November 30th in my phone, HikConnect will not allow me to log in lol. Strange.

If I reset the date in the NVR to November 30th it does not change the behavior of HikConnect.

I guess I'll have to wait until it's actually November 30th to delete them.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Today I de-registered my NVR from the online HikConnect service, deleted the app on my phone, and cleaned all remnants of the app off the phone as well. After re-registering my NVR and reloading the app, the dozens of notifications appeared instantly again. Anybody know where these things are being stored?

Edit: I just formatted the hard drives on my NVR and powered it down. I deleted the HikConnect app and all remnants of the app on my phone and powered it down. Then I booted up the NVR, rolled back the HikConnect app on my phone to version 4.7.2 from August, and as soon as I logged in those damn notifications appeared again. I'm convinced the notifications are stored on the online Hik server and that's why they keep reappearing.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to close this out - yesterday the notifications from the 28th disappeared, and today the ones from the 29th disappeared. No idea why, and I've not updated the app firmware.