Hik PCNVR software vs Hik NVR hardware

Panda Jerk

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive been running Blue Iris a while. Tired of the hardware demand i tried the Hik PCNVR software. It left a lot to be desired. question is, do the Hik hardware NVR units run the same software as PCNVR? It would be a cheap enough experiment but thought I'd ask. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive been running Blue Iris a while. Tired of the hardware demand i tried the Hik PCNVR software. It left a lot to be desired. question is, do the Hik hardware NVR units run the same software as PCNVR? It would be a cheap enough experiment but thought I'd ask. Thanks
Welcome to the forum. No its different but just as limited, if not more limited. If you want the flexibility of blue iris you will need to live with the hardware requirements. Are you running direct to disc to minimize cpu consumption? How many cams? what resolution are you running?
Hardware acceleration is coming soon as well. Most BI setups can be run efficiently on a 300 dollar haswell i5 system. For larger applications an 500 dollar haswell i7 will do.

Panda Jerk

n3wb
Reaction score
Bummer. Yea I'm using DtoD with 1080 @20fps. 1 cam runs at ~13-17% CPU. 2 is ~24-27%. 3 is ~33-39%. That's with the GUI minimized, no clients connected, no active recording. If a cam triggers it bumps from there to uncomfortable levels. I could drop to 720 @15 if I had to. I'm running in VMware connected via iSCSI to a SAN. RAM and datastore are fine. Seems to be all about CPU. I guess I need to dedicate a server to this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bummer. Yea I'm using DtoD with 1080 @20fps. 1 cam runs at ~13-17% CPU. 2 is ~24-27%. 3 is ~33-39%. That's with the GUI minimized, no clients connected, no active recording. If a cam triggers it bumps from there to uncomfortable levels. I could drop to 720 @15 if I had to. I'm running in VMware connected via iSCSI to a SAN. RAM and datastore are fine. Seems to be all about CPU. I guess I need to dedicate a server to this.
Yes, an hp elitedesk 800 can with haswell i5 and 3 year next business day warranty (or the remainder of it) can be had for about 300 on ebay. Not much more than an NVR, less hassles, way more options..3 cams at 1080p will likely run at 15 percent or so on a haswell i5...