Hik NVR disk set to R/W, yet it doesn't seem to be overwriting

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Final edit: I think this is actually a bug, or at best a poorly explained feature. By default, on first boot, the NVR will record from attached cameras, even if the master Continuous or Motion Activated record switches have not been activated... and the setup wizard lets you skip that step! If you skip choosing a recording mode, the NVR goes into Continuous record anyway, and it will NOT respect the Overwrite checkbox, so it will just stop recording when it is out of space. I did a few factory resets to verify this--it will absolutely automatically record and let you review data even as the indicators in MENU>MANUAL>RECORD show your cameras are OFF. So, you think it's working, but it's in a weird state that does not behave as you might expect.

I've got the new 4k NVR and have run into what's probably a newb problem... it stopped recording.

The NVR has been up for a few days, and it has one 4 MP camera and one junky old 320 GB HD. Today I think the hard drive may have filled up, because it stopped recording. Live View still works, but past a certain point today I cannot play back any video at all. The web UI says "playback failed" and on the NVR itself, if I try to use the 5-minute quick replay, it says "No record is found during last 5 minutes on selected camera." (In each case I am sure I have the right camera selected.)

In Hdd > General the drive is definitely set to R/W.

It was on Quota mode by default, with the quota automatically set to the drive size. I just changed it to Group and rebooted, and while live view still works fine, the system is definitely not recording anything.

The drive passed a SMART test and I am going to do a block test. (I love that stuff is built in!)

What am I missing??

EDIT: On the NVR console I found the "start continuous recording" button, clicked it, and now I have a red dot on the live view and video is being recorded. But I swear, for the last few days I have had this thing running there were no red dots and it was recording anyway. I'm sure I'm just confused about the settings, but I could swear when I first plugged in the camera, it was recording everything all the time without requiring me to start recording manually.

DOUBLE EDIT: After poking around in the RECORD menu I located the schedule and the Overwrite checkbox. Both were at their default settings and seemed to be correct -- schedule on all the time, overwrite turned on. I ended up toggling the manual recording and schedule recording options off and on until the overview showed the camera was "ON" in green, meaning it was using the schedule. But I will be darned if I can figure out how recording got turned off. I must have fumbled an input somewhere, though I can't figure out how.

Bottom line: To get Overwrite working on the 4k Hik NVR, you must make sure the drive is set to R/W and then in the RECORD>ADVANCED, make sure the specific camera has Overwrite checked.

Last edited by a moderator: