High Network Use and CPU Load Remote Viewing Individual Streams

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wish the search function on this site were better, as I am sure this has been covered at some point.

What I am having trouble with is streaming to tablets and a remote PC from individual cameras via the Blue Iris server. Specifically to an app like ActionTiles or SharpTools. Streaming just one 1080p camera ramps up outgoing network utilization from the server into the mid 20 Mbps range. This also imposes a significant hit on CPU load from the 65-75% range up to the low 90s.

If I only log in to remote view BI through Chrome Remote Desktop even at 2k resolution, it uses less than 1 Mbps outgoing to show me the gallery feed for all of the cameras and doesn't change if I just select a camera to view full screen, raising CPU load by only about 5%.

So clearly there is something wrong with how I am trying to stream individual feeds in this way. Any ideas what needs to be changed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish the search function on this site were better, as I am sure this has been covered at some point.

What I am having trouble with is streaming to tablets and a remote PC from individual cameras via the Blue Iris server. Specifically to an app like ActionTiles or SharpTools. Streaming just one 1080p camera ramps up outgoing network utilization from the server into the mid 20 Mbps range. This also imposes a significant hit on CPU load from the 65-75% range up to the low 90s.

If I only log in to remote view BI through Chrome Remote Desktop even at 2k resolution, it uses less than 1 Mbps outgoing to show me the gallery feed for all of the cameras and doesn't change if I just select a camera to view full screen, raising CPU load by only about 5%.

So clearly there is something wrong with how I am trying to stream individual feeds in this way. Any ideas what needs to be changed?
You can use google to search any website.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure google site search... example in the google search window enter

site:ipcamtalk.com high cpu

The above will only search the ipcamtalk.com.

Can not help on the action tiles or sharptools.

more than like it is the data format and data rates, and how you have the camera data recorded. UI3 and BI have settings to limit data rates.

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still cannot find anything specific to what I describe. I don't have any CPU or bandwidth problems save for the individual feed streaming issue. Not sure what to adjust.

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, just muddled my way to the solution:

Options > Web Server > Advanced > Encoder Profiles Configure

Check 'Resize output frame width x height' and adjust down to maximum required size.

In my case, it was set at 1280 x 1024, and dropping it to 640 x 480 cut the outgoing bandwidth to under 8 Mbps.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@ksnax

It sounds like your apps are pulling jpeg snapshots or mjpeg video. These can be quality and/or size-restricted on a per-stream basis by the use of URL parameters which are described in Blue Iris Help > The Web Server.

Jpeg parameters:
* q - Quality percentage. (integer between 1 and 100)
* s - Scale the resolution by this amount. (any positive nonzero number)
* w - Sets the maximum width for the image. (any positive nonzero integer)
* h - Sets the maximum height for the image. (any positive nonzero integer)

I usually ignore the scale parameter because usually it is more useful to resize your output based on your desired output size, not based on the input size.

If you specify just w or h (not both) then Blue Iris will preserve the image's aspect ratio.

So for example you could do q=20&w=320 to get low resolution, highly-compressed video that uses much less bandwidth for a small display.

As you've noticed, it also works to change Blue Iris's Streaming 0 profile encoding parameters, but this has effects on many of Blue Iris's other webcasting abilities so it is important to be careful with that.