High CPU Usage

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
High Guys,

Can anybody with similar tell me if this CPU usage is normal, the CPU seems as if it may be under strain.

I have set up a BI system on a SFF clean install Windows 10 Dell. Processor is i5-6500 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 8GB RAM.

I have added 3 Dahua camera's, 5231, 5431 & 5631. The CPU was running at 100% or just about.

So I went through the full checklist within the Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage help sheet found on IPCamTalk and thanks to whoever supplied it. I implemented every suggestion.
(Found Here to Help Others)

I also logged into the 5431 & 5631 and dropped the resolution back to 2MP as a test, this helped reduce CPU usage also.

This has lowered my CPU usage to between 40 & 60% with BI running as I "chrome remote desktop in" & when the platform is open.
When I remote in and BI running in background as windows service, the CPU usage is showing in task manager as 25% overall & 23 to 24% for BI alone.

I compare this to my home set up where I have x4 5231's and my CPU useage is down as low as 15/16% and whilst BI is open as the viewable platform and I use chrome remote desktop to look at that other system.

Now admittedly at home I have twice the RAM at 16GB and also an i7-7600 3.4GHz.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an i5-6600, and 3 2MP cams. When I'm directly on the BI machine, my CPU is at 8-9% and GPU is at 8-9%. You don't mention GPU anywhere. Are you using intel HA, and is it working?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you running the demo? Are you outputting to a 4k monitor?

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the mp/sec on each system?
What is the driver version on each system?
Sorry Yankee, I am a bit of a novice with PC's and am unsure what this relates to or how to find such information.

You don't mention GPU anywhere. Are you using intel HA, and is it working?
Using the Optimizing BI manual, I did opt for the setting in BI to use Intel HA, not sure how to check it is working but the photo's may help as I read in Optimizing BI manual you can check if there is a number by the GPU Video Decode, I have number 0.

Are you running the demo? Are you outputting to a 4k monitor?
No infact year one just expired so I just opted for the $29.95 extended support and am now eligable for V5 when it's available. Monitor was not 4k, I just swapped it for a TV this morning, both set to 1920x1080.

Task Manager CPU.jpg

Graphics.jpg

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For the BI process, the fact that GPU is showing usage means you are using Intel HA. However, with it only being at 6%, I suspect it's only working on 2 of your 3 cams.

Are all 3 cams set to H.264 (and not H.265)?
In BI, on the video tab of each camera, is the hardware decoding set to either default or Intel?

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the BI process, the fact that GPU is showing usage means you are using Intel HA. However, with it only being at 6%, I suspect it's only working on 2 of your 3 cams.

Are all 3 cams set to H.264 (and not H.265)?
In BI, on the video tab of each camera, is the hardware decoding set to either default or Intel?
Yes, all are set to H264
All 3 were set to Default, I have just switched all to Intel but with little to no change to the GPU's 6%. It does peak at 7% and dip to 5.7% but it was doing that prior to selecting Intel.

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can leave them at default, which causes them to use the global HA setting that you have set in the main BI options on the cameras tab. There you should have it set to Intel only. Not Intel +VPP.

You just overrode the global setting to Intel individually on each cam, which changes nothing if you already had the global setting as Intel.

On the BI machine with just the BI service running, when you open task manager you'll see the lowest CPU usage.
If you locally or remotely use UI3 to view your cams, you'll see increased CPU usage.
When you remote/RDP into the machine, I don't know how that affects the CPU, as I don't ever do this.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i do not understand how the Blueiris is using less than a 0.6 GB or memory. I would think it would be more than a 1 GB. my system runs at 3.5 GB.

The MegaPixel/Second can be found in the Blue Iris status (the button three vertical bars) Camera tab. The totals are on the bottom left side. Provide a screen shot of both your systems total camera status page for comparison. Cameras. fps, pixes.....

Reaction score
Go to your Power Plans and set it to be High Performance.

I'm running 13x1080P cameras this way on an i3-4370 by doing this and it hovers around 25% usage now. Before that change it would run at 85% or more.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the BI machine with just the BI service running, when you open task manager you'll see the lowest CPU usage.
If you locally or remotely use UI3 to view your cams, you'll see increased CPU usage.
When you remote/RDP into the machine, I don't know how that affects the CPU, as I don't ever do this.
I have just taken 2 screenshots as Yankee suggested below. My CCTV usually hovers around 16% CPU 1.65G RAM, therefore the one time calculation for the increase is about +9% on the CPU and 0.02G for the RAM

i do not understand how the Blueiris is using less than a 0.6 GB or memory. I would think it would be more than a 1 GB. my system runs at 3.5 GB.

The MegaPixel/Second can be found in the Blue Iris status (the button three vertical bars) Camera tab. The totals are on the bottom left side. Provide a screen shot of both your systems total camera status page for comparison. Cameras. fps, pixes.....
OK, I will do this and both will be via remote desktop for equal comparison.

My CCTV.jpg

Mums CCTV.jpg
Go to your Power Plans and set it to be High Performance.

I'm running 13x1080P cameras this way on an i3-4370 by doing this and it hovers around 25% usage now. Before that change it would run at 85% or more.
Just done and this seemed to help. My own system was already set up as High Performance.

I revisited my own system "remotely again" and the CPU usage showing on UI3 and gave it some work to do. It went from a resting 16%CPU to a working 26% to 36% range. So it appears remoting in adds 10% to 20% CPU.

Therefor, remoting in to my Mums as shown below and less just 10% CPU, it would be running at ~12% CPU.

Mums CCTV High Performance.jpg

Last edited:

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Being happy with that ~12% CPU thanks to using the "High Performance Power Plan" on my PC I updated the cameras to their full ability of a 2MP, 4MP & 6MP cameras.

Bearing in mind I am still remoted in so we could subtract circa 10% CPU.

This has had a dramatic affect on the CPU as shown below. If you take off 10%CPU, it would still be running at 41-46%CPU

Mums CCTV Full MP's.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure the CPU is a I7-7600 @ 3.4 GHZ. I can not find that CPU listed in Passmark.

Changes to make on cameras, I would recommend setting the FPS to 15 on all cameras, Also Set the Iframe to 15 on all cameras. Set bit rate type to VBR. Also check you bit rate that it is appropriate for the camera MP.

Your cameras have a strange bitrate, the 2.1MP main entrance camera has a higher bit rate than the 4.1 MP passage stairs camera. The 6.3 MP camera has just a slightly higher bitrate than the 2.1MP.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SmartSelect_20190530-232417_Blue Iris.jpg
Are you sure the CPU is a I7-7600 @ 3.4 GHZ. I can not find that CPU listed in Passmark.

Changes to make on cameras, I would recommend setting the FPS to 15 on all cameras, Also Set the Iframe to 15 on all cameras. Set bit rate type to VBR. Also check you bit rate that it is appropriate for the camera MP.

Your cameras have a strange bitrate, the 2.1MP main entrance camera has a higher bit rate than the 4.1 MP passage stairs camera. The 6.3 MP camera has just a slightly higher bitrate than the 2.1MP.
Sorry Southern Yankee, that must have been my typo. it is a i7-6700 as shown. However, that is not the system with the high CPU usage. My mums with the i5-6500 has the issue.

My System.jpg

I have gone to cameras and defaulted the video settings (now 2, 4 & 6MP) to be sure to have their correct bitrates. I already had 15fps on each camera but I did swap to VBR 6 Best on each camera. I also set the iframe to 15.

Factory Setting on Cameras & VBR 6Best.jpg

If I log in with the android app, the CPU % can be seen without logging in remotely or having UI3 open. This shows a better reading, it was 22% CPU before I made these changes, but before these changes, I had all cameras on 2MP settings.

SmartSelect_20190530-232417_Blue Iris.jpg

And so, I will quickly set all cameras resolution to 2MP for comparison, I will take the settings off the genuine 5231, 4096 max bitrate for all and 15fps, also I unticked enable sub-stream. Then into BI to re initiate all cameras. See below for logged in details. Then logging in via the android app.

Back to 2MP & 4096 max bitrate.jpg

And the details from the android app

SmartSelect_20190530-234425_Blue Iris.jpg

So with just 3 cameras working as 5231's, and the factory maximum bitrate of 4096 & 15fps, the best I have yet achieved is 20%CPU, it actually fluctuated between 19%-23%.

Could it be just an inferior processor on the PC?

Out of interest, both cctv systems have SSD's but the one at home with 3x5231's and 1x5831 has a Samsung Evo 870SSD. This was the best once. Could that be making my home system have the lower CPU%.

My mums cctv machine with just 3x5231's has a basic SSD. I cannot remember the brand.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At home with UI3 closed, running the 4 cameras. 7%CPU.

SmartSelect_20190530-235714_Blue Iris.jpg

Reaction score
Hi, I am using an AWS VM and my CPU usage today shot up from 15% to 98%. I am using two Hikvision PanoVu Series DS-2CD6924F-IS 8MP Outdoor 180° cameras, @ 1FPS , and the bit rate set to 1024 on the camera settings. Would anyone know what could have caused the jump and how to fix it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi, I am using an AWS VM and my CPU usage today shot up from 15% to 98%. I am using two Hikvision PanoVu Series DS-2CD6924F-IS 8MP Outdoor 180° cameras, @ 1FPS , and the bit rate set to 1024 on the camera settings. Would anyone know what could have caused the jump and how to fix it? Thanks.
The spike in CPU usage happen after I went from saving clips in MP4 to WMV. I just switched back to saving clips in MP4 and the CPU usage is back down under 15%. The only problem is I cannot play clips in the web browser.