High CPU usage running 4 cameras

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another overarching consideration is which version of BI you are running. I've found huge differing CPU usage between some versions. Generally the critical updates/versions are pretty good.
THIS. You say you're running a version of BI that's over 2 years old. Might be a good time to upgrade. I also seem to recall reading somewhere around here when I was setting up my Reolink DB cams that BI added the Reolink DB support in the config dropdown, hence why yours is a 'Generic ONVIF'. Might make a difference, might not?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh, I see it now in the model name. Its weird that these no sub stream but sub streams is working on this camera?
(maybe it's not working, I remember seeing the sub-stream somewhere?)

I put 'Reolink' in the make and hit find/inspect and the main stream disappeared so I seem toe have a problem here.
View attachment 187286
For the Reolink doorbell you could use the drop-downs that SOB used in his post #10 then copy/paste/edit the sub stream as in my post #11.

This is a screenshot of mine:
Reolink-doorbell-BlueIris.jpg

Last edited:

Sachi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the top of my head, the most important settings to reduce cpu usage are as follows
WOW Hikky, thanks for that. Yes I have a lot of that covered but there are some real gems there I will go through and check out.
Just curious how you access your BI server? I am also running as a service and using Teamviewer which might be why my CPU usage is higher.

Blue Iris shows only 5% CPU but in BI it reports total CPU usage, so maybe I don't have any issue now?
1708640687145.png

UI3 stats didn't work for me, maybe because I'm on 2021 BI release?
1708640950302.png

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
WOW Hikky, thanks for that. Yes I have a lot of that covered but there are some real gems there I will go through and check out.
Just curious how you access your BI server? I am also running as a service and using Teamviewer which might be why my CPU usage is higher.

Blue Iris shows only 5% CPU but in BI it reports total CPU usage, so maybe I don't have any issue now?

UI3 stats didn't work for me, maybe because I'm on 2021 BI release?

5% is better than I expected so looks like you are good to go.

Teamviewer is a cpu hog and I do not use it. Try NoMachine for remote access. Very lightweight (usually less than 1% CPU) and I've never had an issue with it.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 09.06.31.png

I think those UI3 stats were introduced in a relatively recent update which makes sense as to why you are not seeing them.

Sachi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5% is better than I expected so looks like you are good to go.
Yeah looking good now since it was running at 100%. I am only recording on one camera at the moment so it will probably go up a bit once I have the other cameras set up but its a nice start.
Is UI3 version linked to BI or is it upgradable independently. I will upgrade BI once I have my system set up, still installing cameras and need to secure my system also. Tried to go the second NIC route but W10 doesn't recognize the new card. Man, what a steep learning curve.
Thanks for the NoMachine recommendation, I'll check it out.

Sachi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the Reolink doorbell you could use the drop-downs that SOB used in his post #10 then copy/paste/edit the sub stream as in my post #11.
Thanks Tony,
I couldn't see the full path in the screen shot of post #10 but as you posted the full path in your post I will give it a try.
Mine is working now after I used Reolink as the model, it reverted to Generic but now has a sub stream. Someone in the doorbell forum posted the same stream profile as I have now.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah looking good now since it was running at 100%. I am only recording on one camera at the moment so it will probably go up a bit once I have the other cameras set up but its a nice start.
Is UI3 version linked to BI or is it upgradable independently. I will upgrade BI once I have my system set up, still installing cameras and need to secure my system also. Tried to go the second NIC route but W10 doesn't recognize the new card. Man, what a steep learning curve.
Thanks for the NoMachine recommendation, I'll check it out.
Technically you can upgrade UI3 to the latest version separately from BI however, as you are running a 2021 version of BI, you may run into compatibility issues. GitHub - bp2008/ui3: A powerful, modern HTML5 web interface for Blue Iris.

My recommendation would be to update to the latest stable build of BI and use that as a starting point for setup. Many settings and features will have changed / improved and you will likely have to re-adjust those when upgrading anyway.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One more thing - if you are running the demo version of BI then the video is always being re-encoded to add a watermark.

Sachi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One more thing - if you are running the demo version of BI then the video is always being re-encoded to add a watermark.
I am running a licensed version from 2021 and will upgrade to the latest version soon but I am just getting started in the BI learning curve, installing cameras cameras and most importantly trying to set up my network securely which has been and still is a difficult task for a noob. I did install the latest UI3 which had an error or 2 but is working fine on my older license.

Looks like a lot of work to do on false alerts!
1709068184728.png