Hi, from Texas

Joe11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Heard about this site recently, and found folks to be fairly responsive/helpful. Looking for some guidance.

I currently have a Q-see QC9116 with QCA8050B cameras installed (Analog HD - BNC connectors). I've used it for a while now, and thought it was ok (not great, but usable). Recently, I realized that I can't even read the license plates of a car (in daytime) in my driveway, and would like to replace it with a better system.

Cost is of course a factor - would like it to be under $1k if possible.
Question: Would upgrading to an IP NVR based system (with the price limit of about $1000) be noticeably better than what I have currently? Or should I just use this one?

From what I've read on these forums, the Hikvision/Dahua seems to be the way to go, but unless I get something from the gray market, those seem to be pretty expensive, and I don't know how their support is.

What other options would you suggest? I'd like to get a system that has 8 bullet cameras (if possible, I'd like to get something that has 16 channels to be able to record the streams from my Foscam C1 cameras that I currently use indoors)

I read about Laview having decent cameras - newegg has a bundle for about 1250 (LaView 4MP 2688 x 1520P Full PoE IP Camera Security System, 8 Channel H.265 NVR w/ 4K Output, 8 x 4MP Full HD (2688 x 1520) In/Outdoor IP Cameras (No HDD Included)-Newegg.com) and add about $130 for a HDD. It is over my budget, but I can't find anything else that is cheaper.
Also saw Costco Wholesale About the same price (after adding tax).
One last one - Q-See 16 Channel 3MP HD IP NVR Security System with 2TB Hard Drive, 8 3MP Bullet Cameras, and 100' Night Vision - Sam's Club good price, but it sounds like I won't be able to connect my foscam C1s to it .

Thoughts?

Edit: I should mention that I am familiar with IP networking, and "should" be able to handle setting it up :)

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the fray. :)
I suggest you read through the Dahua subject area here and digest that info.
Typically packaged systems have many drawbacks, as you are finding.
If you care about night capabilities to ID a face, stick with 2mp cams. They are much better at night than 4mp.
Read here, and you can customize a much better system then any package system.
Start with this, keep PPV > 100 Camera Calculator / Design Software

Joe11

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! That's a pretty good tool - I can use that to compare the views from various cameras.
Several of the cameras that I want to compare are not on that tool, and so, I'm not sure how those compare to the recommended Dahua ones (8 of the Dahua recommended ones will eat up my budget pretty quickly - without even the NVR :) )

I will spend some more time looking at the Dahua sub-forum now. Is there a recommended list of (compatible) products, for given (approx) budgets?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stick with the same brand cameras and NVR for the least heartburn.
You don't need to find the camera on that tool, just put the sensor size in and go to town.
You can over lay a google map picture of your house on it.
Remember, you want to see who did it, not just what happened.
You can always start with just the cams with SD cards in them, which will record about 3 days.
Be sure to read this Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup
and
This: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
Plus any cam review from @nayr
Tons of info here to digest.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand there are dual coax/IP NVRs available for those like you who have an coax cctv system and yet would like to add some IP cameras.

Suggest looking at that route and adding just a couple of those dahua starlight to the most critical areas right now.

Joe11

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks - I think I'm going to go down the route of getting a NVR with some stock cameras, and then, adding Dahua Starlights. Making sure that the NVR is compatible with the Dahua of course