Hi From Oregon

harriska2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, My name is Kathy and I'm upgrading my security system from a cheap Samsung with DVR to a POE system. I currently have Blue Iris 4 eval running with 2 Microseven POE cameras (M7B77-WPS HD 1080P SONY 1/2.8" Chipset CMOS 3MP 3.6mmLens Plug Play).

The problem is one camera has issues with switching to IR and the other seems out of focus. I'm thinking of using a different camera set that has higher reliability even if they cost a bit more (these are $180 each). Axis seems to be behind the times as far as all the features I want (POE, direct support in Blue Iris, 3-4mp, better than 1/3", good night vision for under $200-$300). Hikvision I don't know much about but seems there are issues there too. Suggestions?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some people can find problems with any cameras to be honest. I think Hikvision is just more popular right now so they get more reports of problems (mostly due to people trying to update firmware when they shouldn't).

My advice: if you can, return the Microseven cameras for a refund ($180 each? oooff). Since you've had issues with both, hopefully the return will be smooth. Buy Hikvision or Dahua cameras instead, and don't update their firmware. In fact don't even use the factory reset option if you get a Dahua camera - I've heard of them reverting to Chinese language after doing that. Also, disable UPnP in your router and don't open ports to the cameras through your router. Popular brands like these are the most likely to be targeted by hackers and you don't want them exposed.

I've been favoring Dahua recently.

3.6mm: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDMMKXC

2.8mm (wider view, not as good for capturing details at distance): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXKRTT2

You can get them a little cheaper and have more lens options if you buy from aliexpress but they will take the better part of a month to arrive and you will be more or less screwed if they arrive defective.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.