HFW8630E-Z Losing Time/Frames

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any idea what could be causing my HFW8630E-Z to be losing time/frames. Have a look at the video and watch the camera time in the top right corner.

At first I though it was a network issue so I forced 100meg on the switch from the 1GB that it was auto selecting. That seemed to help a little but not much. I do notice that Blue Iris seems to be pausing at the same time which might suggest an issue with the video coming from the camera (I don't think it's BI itself as when I view the camera directly I see the same). I do have an SD card installed if that makes a difference.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems to work better if I set my switch to 100 half duplex. Amy idea why this is the case when the camera specs state it should be capable of 1Gbit/s?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned this in the other thread but I am guessing you have packet loss at 1 Gbps speed. Could be a bad cable or external interference causing it. This sort of thing happens sometimes on two of my cameras that I have sharing the same cat5e cable (packet loss and dropped frames).

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In this case I have the camera connected directly to the switch and tried with two separate cables.

But you could be right - it sounds like packet loss or similar. In Blue Iris I occasionally see the orange warning symbol which indicates (to me) a network issue.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just set it back to 1Gbit/s and did 20 pings. 1 packet lost out of 80. While I was doing this I was keeping an eye on Blue Iris and it kept dropping the signal.

Looking in the camera properties in BI, the camera is going between 0 - 1.4 fps and a 150 - 250 kB/s bit rate.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just did 307 pings. 4 packets lost.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea how you do a hard reset on a ultra bullet?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
on the third cable I'm trying at this stage. This time a 1ft CAT6, pre-made quality cable.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also tried connecting directly to a power supply in case of PoE issues. No change in behavior.