HFW5831E-Z5E IR Issue

rflagler

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased the HFW5831E-Z5E from Andy (thanks!) and am having an issue with IR I'm hoping some people can help me troubleshoot.

I bought this camera to replace an existing camera because it advertises 100m IR range. The camera it replaces only advertised 30m. I'm using the camera under a 2nd floor soffit and have it fully zoomed (5x ~35mm) in on the road. The intent of the camera is to capture license plates. This camera as well as the previous one have no issues in daytime, but at night, I still can't capture anything of value. I seem to be getting some horrible IR reflection when I crank the IR up to maximum settings.

Attached are some screenshots of day/night. Any ideas on fixing the IR reflection? Anyone else have this camera? I'm hoping it's not the design of the camera/IR lights.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently purchased the HFW5831E-Z5E from Andy (thanks!) and am having an issue with IR I'm hoping some people can help me troubleshoot.

I bought this camera to replace an existing camera because it advertises 100m IR range. The camera it replaces only advertised 30m. I'm using the camera under a 2nd floor soffit and have it fully zoomed (5x ~35mm) in on the road. The intent of the camera is to capture license plates. This camera as well as the previous one have no issues in daytime, but at night, I still can't capture anything of value. I seem to be getting some horrible IR reflection when I crank the IR up to maximum settings.

Attached are some screenshots of day/night. Any ideas on fixing the IR reflection? Anyone else have this camera? I'm hoping it's not the design of the camera/IR lights.
The ir is likely reflecting off the soffit...you need to move the camera so that it doesnt reflect...also note that if intend to capture any plate at night using IR you need to dedicate the camera to lpr and adjust the exposure-see lpr forum

rflagler

n3wb
Reaction score
The ir is likely reflecting off the soffit...you need to move the camera so that it doesnt reflect...also note that if intend to capture any plate at night using IR you need to dedicate the camera to lpr and adjust the exposure-see lpr forum
The front-edge of the camera sticks out past the soffit. I'll try to take a photo of how the camera is mounted tonight.

Once I can figure out the IR issue, I plan to manually set everything for proper exposure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The front-edge of the camera sticks out past the soffit. I'll try to take a photo of how the camera is mounted tonight.

Once I can figure out the IR issue, I plan to manually set everything for proper exposure.
The proper way to test it is to either take it down or go up there at night and move it around.