Hey y'all - from South Louisiana - New Homeowner with lots of questions!

cerebra

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm from South Louisiana and am moving in the next month or two. We already have a new home picked out and purchased, but are getting our existing home ready for sale and the new home ready to be moved into.

This requires some painting, flooring, and other more traditional changes...however, the wife has left me in charge of TECHNOLOGY!

I'm highly interested in putting together a POE security system, and have been looking at the normal commercial products at the normal stores, like Q-see, Lorex, Amcrest, etc...but I haven't been impressed with them enough to go for one of them. Then, I ran across a link to some cameras from Hikvision and a link to this forum and I know I'm in the right spot.

However, I can't seem to find much summary introductory information on this forum. Are there any must-read posts on "An Introduction to POE security cameras/systems?"

I know I'd like to get a system with about 4-8 cameras, with an NVR...but aside from that, and considering Hikvision strongly, I really don't know where to start. I'm good technologically, LINUX, networking, etc...so that's no problem, but I don't have any grasp of the industry, products, concerns about integration, functionality, etc.

Any pointers on how to get started would be appreciated!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello!

I see you've posted over in the Hikvision forum so I'll go read that now... :)

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm from South Louisiana and am moving in the next month or two. We already have a new home picked out and purchased, but are getting our existing home ready for sale and the new home ready to be moved into.

This requires some painting, flooring, and other more traditional changes...however, the wife has left me in charge of TECHNOLOGY!

I'm highly interested in putting together a POE security system, and have been looking at the normal commercial products at the normal stores, like Q-see, Lorex, Amcrest, etc...but I haven't been impressed with them enough to go for one of them. Then, I ran across a link to some cameras from Hikvision and a link to this forum and I know I'm in the right spot.

However, I can't seem to find much summary introductory information on this forum. Are there any must-read posts on "An Introduction to POE security cameras/systems?"

I know I'd like to get a system with about 4-8 cameras, with an NVR...but aside from that, and considering Hikvision strongly, I really don't know where to start. I'm good technologically, LINUX, networking, etc...so that's no problem, but I don't have any grasp of the industry, products, concerns about integration, functionality, etc.

Any pointers on how to get started would be appreciated!

Get into new home RUN a crap load of cat 5 5e or 6 what ever your choice to every corner in order to get the MAN CAVE going once the man cave is complete then buy some hikvision stick them on the house and use your dropped ethernet to power them etc etc. Bare there is sarcasm in my response with an actual answer