Hey -manufacturers- here is a product wish.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I simply want to see. I want a 'window' that is a 4K screen, or two, in my house hanging on a wall as you would a landscape painting. I have an open pasture to the front about 300m/1,000' ...and water views on a creek about 200m/650' to the side - with dense woods between. We have many windows in the house but none can see these views.

I would like this to be simple cabling - something I can do myself. I care most about resolution and refresh rates. I do not need a hard drive. This is a window, none of my other windows have recording cameras...

The setup should be plug-n-play with absolute minimal menu options - maybe, just On/Off. (I find these systems to be way too fiddly for someone who is not using them for security)

I understand the desire for security many people have, but I simply enjoy the wildlife that does not come close to the house. I even like to watch the bugs at night.

I would be happy to be a paying beta tester. Make one - someone!

Jim

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi @Wetstuff,

You can already set this up... just get a decent IP camera and point it to a view you want and then set your media center PC to play it ( you can use VLC for this ).

Or just find a live stream from youtube or other video site if your views are not exotic enough.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
lol, they will get right on it....give you one to test and then sit back and watch the 10's of sales they will get.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine are plenty exotic for me Mat. You are right, there are some interesting streams - an airport in the Canaries, some Owl or eagle cams, etc. but I simply want more 'windows' in my house. I can understand not wanting it if I lived in the City. I pretty much do this now with a single cam and NVR, but the interface is cranky, there's tons of incompatibility even within the same brand, the moisture drives the cam connectors nuts, etc. It's great for you guys who live this stuff. I've been in business for 40yrs because, like you, I can do things my customers cannot.

It should be a simple box, Mat. I don't claim my time to be of such high value, but there are some things that should be p-n-p ...particularly if they only have a single objective.

Fenderman... A guy with 25,000 posts - might be to close to the light to see potential on the periphery. I'd probably buy those first 10s ...there's plenty of people where I live that would be happy to 'expand their views' beyond security.

Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are plenty exotic for me Mat. You are right, there are some interesting streams - an airport in the Canaries, some Owl or eagle cams, etc. but I simply want more 'windows' in my house. I can understand not wanting it if I lived in the City. I pretty much do this now with a single cam and NVR, but the interface is cranky, there's tons of incompatibility even within the same brand, the moisture drives the cam connectors nuts, etc. It's great for you guys who live this stuff. I've been in business for 40yrs because, like you, I can do things my customers cannot.

It should be a simple box, Mat. I don't claim my time to be of such high value, but there are some things that should be p-n-p ...particularly if they only have a single objective.

Fenderman... A guy with 25,000 posts - might be to close to the light to see potential on the periphery. I'd probably buy those first 10s ...there's plenty of people where I live that would be happy to 'expand their views' beyond security.

Jim
Lol absolutely no money to be made with this stupid idea..... And there certainly is no manufacturer working this forum looking for ideas... As has been noted it's easy to do yourself...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua has some "ePoE" cameras and switches that should be able to provide the necessary range, given a good quality ethernet cable. You should already know how to display full-screen video from an IP camera on a TV, given what you've said.

All the parts and pieces exist for you to set this up yourself, and it would not even be much more complicated than if someone sold you a system specifically designed for this purpose. Certainly you can do it yourself a lot cheaper.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
'Stupid idea', fenderman... reminds me of the MS-DOS guys making fun of us who simply wanted to use Photoshop and not get bogged down on 'command lines' (whatever they are). My first Mac was about 1985. We run about 6-8 iOS devices and basically never need to look under the hood. I'm pretty convinced I could sell these - if they were simply plug-n-play.

bp... "you can do it yourself a lot cheaper" Money is really not the issue. I love tinkering/learning; I have made stuff my whole life ..., but I really don't like don't like gear that needs a service call or online plea for help - when wanting to singularly ...maintain a simple image.

Exactly, Tony... The more wire I hang - the more connectors I replace because they get soaked and corrode - the more fricking menus I have to wade thru to respond to 'NO DATA' - the more NVR/camera conflicts I run unto ... the more I think about this. ..the more I think it viable. I know some of these people - they all have nice properties and full lives. (...and I know just where to plant some as seeds.)

It's not all about license plate readers. There's a big world out there. I need to find the guy who could build a distribution hub the size of an external HD.

Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
'Stupid idea', fenderman... reminds me of the MS-DOS guys making fun of us who simply wanted to use Photoshop and not get bogged down on 'command lines' (whatever they are). My first Mac was about 1985. We run about 6-8 iOS devices and basically never need to look under the hood. I'm pretty convinced I could sell these - if they were simply plug-n-play.

bp... "you can do it yourself a lot cheaper" Money is really not the issue. I love tinkering/learning; I have made stuff my whole life ..., but I really don't like don't like gear that needs a service call or online plea for help - when wanting to singularly ...maintain a simple image.

Exactly, Tony... The more wire I hang - the more connectors I replace because they get soaked and corrode - the more fricking menus I have to wade thru to respond to 'NO DATA' - the more NVR/camera conflicts I run unto ... the more I think about this. ..the more I think it viable. I know some of these people - they all have nice properties and full lives. (...and I know just where to plant some as seeds.)

It's not all about license plate readers. There's a big world out there. I need to find the guy who could build a distribution hub the size of an external HD.

Jim
You remind me of the idiots who think they have a million dollar idea...you know what, make it and sell it...come back and tell us how that works out for you.