Helping picking out a PoE camera

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All,

Need your help. Looking for a fairly inexpensive PoE camera for indoor use. As you can see in the attached photo at the far right on the counter top is a foscam camera. It is eating up counter space plus an outlet. My electrician is coming over to do a few projects for me so i think its time for him to run an ethernet home run for me back to my AV Rack, so I am looking to add a PoE camera.

I am thinking about putting it up in the corner by the cabinets and stuff. There is a soffit or whatever that comes down, so up there in that corner. May be in ceiling or the wall; could be flexible on mounting options. I want a view of both the door (not to see who is at the door if they are outside per se but in case of a break in I want to see who is coming in the door) and if you see in the foreground there is a metal crate, that is where my dog is at sometimes during the day so I'd like a view of the crate too. Also looking for it to be discreet, its a kitchen, so do not want something big and bulky that screams camera. Lastly, needs to work with Blue Iris.

Any thoughts/options/ideas? My current set up is mostly Lilin cameras, no issue but dealer only, and likely more expensive than what I want to pay at this time so I am open to trying new brands.

Attachments

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Forget your electrician. You better call your builder...he built your house sideways bro.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ha - image was taken on my phone and when I saved it to my desktop to upload it looked fine! Any way to change it?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to see who's coming in the door, I would mount a camera FACING the door. Show us what is beyond the door, inside the house (looking into the house standing in the doorway).

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I have a camera outside in the backyard too not far from this door, more focused on the patio area but it would pick up someone walking into that door. no one is knocking at the back door and I need to see who is there. This is to see IF someone comes in and they shouldn't or again to keep an eye on the door. Figured that corner was more hidden and out of the way to also make the camera appear less intrusive

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for recommendation but I'd prefer to get something within 7-10 days not 12-20 days if possible due to timing of the work, etc

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there are shipping options to get it that fast if your willing to pay for it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
optics, for indoors your probably going to want either the 2.8mm with a 110 degree FOV or 3.6mm with an 81 degree FOV.. the wider the angle the less detail you see at distance, but your not dealing with great distances inside.. you have a 90 degree corner so I would probably go with the 3.6mm to avoid seeing the side walls in the image and getting a bit of zoom.. but if wall to wall coverage is what you desire then the 2.8mm does it.. it will also be just a little fish-eye looking with parallel lines obviously distorted.

https://ipvm.com/calculator will give you an idea between the two

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks that is what I thought, had to do with the FOV....just double checking.
The form factor is small? says outdoor camera, any reason i wouldnt look for a camera made for indoor - maybe smaller since less of a housing is needed to protect from the elements? firmware on these cameras in US? I see BH has a very close camera model by the same company just 1 letter off so could be the US model or something?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
link the BSH one, its probably a minor revision that wont make much difference.. there are other versions w/Audio if you want that but I dont like having audio recording indoors for privacy and legal reasons.

there are pics in this thread with good size reference, https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5132-Dahua-4mp-6mm-turrets-(IPC-HDW4421C)?highlight=HDW4421C

indoor cameras wont be any smaller unless you go for pinhole cameras, but those are lower resolution, with worse night performance due to the tiny aperture, and have no IR so they cant see when the lights are out.

its pretty discrete up against a white celling indoors, does not scream camera.. and the turrets look pretty modern and nice when they are noticed.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
link the BSH one, its probably a minor revision that wont make much difference.. there are other versions w/Audio if you want that but I dont like having audio recording indoors for privacy and legal reasons.

there are pics in this thread with good size reference, https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5132-Dahua-4mp-6mm-turrets-(IPC-HDW4421C)?highlight=HDW4421C

indoor cameras wont be any smaller unless you go for pinhole cameras, but those are lower resolution, with worse night performance due to the tiny aperture, and have no IR so they cant see when the lights are out.

its pretty discrete up against a white celling indoors, does not scream camera.. and the turrets look pretty modern and nice when they are noticed.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Max+Resolution_4+MP&sts=ma&N=4272992725&Ntt=dahua+turret - there are 7 Dahua turrets on B&H. The are all HDW44....then the naming changes

you got me interested in a pin hole camera. I have an automation system so I can say when alarm goes off turn on kitchen lights, so the camera would have plenty of lighting to record if there was a break in. when my dog is in the kitchen its only during day time hours, if its night time hours and we are out the automation system knows that so the kitchen lights are on for the dog. Would it make sense to investigate a pinhole camera or other smaller camera without the IR low light capability?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yuck? care to explain why you think a lower resolution w/no WDR is better indoors?

imho the turret looks alot better than that fugly box with status led's on the front side.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone look at something like these: https://www.titathink.com/products/spy-ip-cameras/spy-cameras-compare

very small, one comes with a white cover to help it blend in....onvif compatible so I assume works with Blue Iris? that video cable is 20', so I can run that into my basement, leave the box in my drop ceiling in the basement then run the ethernet to my back room?

this type of solution work? other brands to look at in this style? they also mention IR Cut filters and LED IR for night vision.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
720p, 1/4in sensor, 1.0 Lux required.. and upwards of $200; I would not recommend em for anyone.

I linked you a dahua that was much the same and didnt recommend it either.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not recommend due to price or quality or a combo of? I'd rather pay a premium for something small and out of sight if I lose a little on quality. And I am open to other brands/models in this design. before you mentioned pinhole cameras not handling low light well, this seems to be able to do it well.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no the specs indicate it does absolutely shit job in low light..

to expensive and too shity quality.. the camera I linked you does 0.01 Lux, which is not all that great but its several orders of magnitude better than minimum of 1.0 lux.. very good low light is like 0.001 lux or less..

the smaller the sensor size the less light it can collect, that 1/4 sensor size is smaller than the 1/3rd sensor size in the turret.. nobody should be wasting any money on a 720p camera or a camera that has a 1/4in sensor, this has both so its not capable of much other than emptying your wallet.

check the specs of the Dahua Pinhole I linked you, it does much better in low light.. significantly.