Help with Thermal Camera picking up forklift heat signatures

mrdan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a thermal camera installed pointed at a paper pile in our warehouse. In this we have the thermal settings set to alert an email group about a potential fire. I'm currently having the issue of getting multiple false positives due to a front-end loader's exhaust expelling over ~300 degrees Fahrenheit. In the example attached it showcases what the thermal sees. I have turned on and tinkered with multiple settings related to the thermal read out but the camera is also limited to 4-302 degrees. I've tinkered with shield areas, filtering sensitivity, and anything that can help but ultimately no luck.

Would anyone be able to help figure out what to do about teaching the camera to avoid the exhaust or possibly changing how it works?

Model: DS-2TD2628-3/QA

Firmware Version: V5.5.64 build 230207

Encoding Version: V7.3 build 221205

Web Version: V4.0.1.0 build 221209

Attachments

lsonee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about make the area a little higher up? exclude the bottom zone.

Or make it so there needs to be more than one small few pixels.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I think you need to modify the zone and exclude the area that the tractor works in. As said, make the zone that detects heat higher up where the exhaust won't be located in.

mrdan

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I think you need to modify the zone and exclude the area that the tractor works in. As said, make the zone that detects heat higher up where the exhaust won't be located in.
Appreciate the replies, and we can try that and see if it makes a difference. Hopefully so, but the Front End Loader goes in and out of this pile non stop throughout the day/night. So if we have this move I'm hoping the short amount of time it is in frame won't trigger the alert.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there any way to modify the muffler so that it doesn't have the end exposed? It seems that the camera is triggering on just the actual end of the muffler and not the rest of the piping, so creating some sort of cover system might lower the readable temps enough not to trigger the camera.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a thermal camera installed pointed at a paper pile in our warehouse. In this we have the thermal settings set to alert an email group about a potential fire. I'm currently having the issue of getting multiple false positives due to a front-end loader's exhaust expelling over ~300 degrees Fahrenheit. In the example attached it showcases what the thermal sees. I have turned on and tinkered with multiple settings related to the thermal read out but the camera is also limited to 4-302 degrees. I've tinkered with shield areas, filtering sensitivity, and anything that can help but ultimately no luck.

Would anyone be able to help figure out what to do about teaching the camera to avoid the exhaust or possibly changing how it works?

Model: DS-2TD2628-3/QA

Firmware Version: V5.5.64 build 230207

Encoding Version: V7.3 build 221205

Web Version: V4.0.1.0 build 221209
Not sure how the filtering works, but maybe turn on the OSD for the Forklift identification. That way you can see what it's actually excluding and when:
1683731122989.png
Then you may try turning the sensitivity down and see how it affects it tripping the alarm.

mrdan

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to modify the muffler so that it doesn't have the end exposed? It seems that the camera is triggering on just the actual end of the muffler and not the rest of the piping, so creating some sort of cover system might lower the readable temps enough not to trigger the camera.
We spoke with our Trailer and ForkLift Engineer and he this to say "

I think what you are seeing is the loader is going in regen, and exhausting high temps. There is nothing that can be done to stop it. Cut down on idle time.

When the loader and skid steers see idle for (x) amount of time it puts it self in Regen, which is needed so any idle time should be done outside of the buildings. I know this will be difficult, but my suggestion would be at the end / near end of shift to let them idle outside for 30ish minutes."

I'd ideally like to find a way to turn the exhaust to face away from the affected area but I'm not the one to typically answer such a question