Help with SW for record cctv for supermarket

Trigun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to replace the current software on my server for my CCTV system. Currently, I have 20 IP cameras (and need to add a few more) along with 2 recorders: a Windows server running Nuuo MainConsole and a QNAP with QVR.
MainConsole software provides better quality and speed when viewing a single camera. However, it becomes slow when switching from a single camera to a 5x5 view. The program closes connections on all streams and reopens them with the correct stream because the 5x5 view uses a lower quality stream while the single camera uses the maximum quality. To watch a recorded video, I need to open a different program, establish a new connection, select the time, confirm, and then it starts generating the connection (which is slow). Once that's done, I can view the recorded video, which plays back quickly (up to 32x or 64x speed on a single camera without lag).
image.png.08574f31dc587e5e885c20f9a2b10e96.png

On the other hand, QVRPro software is faster when switching between different cameras, but there's a slight lag compared to real-time footage (the LIVE feed isn't truly live). However, if I want to view a few minutes from the past, I only need to click on the timeline, and it plays the recorded footage. Unfortunately, on a single camera, I can only view it at 4x speed. If I use sync mode with multiple cameras, the speed drops to 1x or even less.
image.thumb.png.0cd87d60fcc581142fb0994833aa709a.png
I'm looking for something faster to access recorded video, similar to QVR, where I can simply click on the timeline and access the recording without switching programs. However, I don't want to sacrifice speed, I want atleast a x8, since I often need to quickly check on clients before they leave the store.
Additionally, I'd like to implement "working" face recognition to create a blacklist and receive warnings when a thief returns to the store. Unfortunately, I haven't found reliable software for this purpose.
Do you have any suggestions? Thank you for your assistance.

PS i have already tried milestone xprotect but it doesn't works with almost all my cameras (i have 2 mobotix, detected, 1 noname chinese onvif, the only survivor from the guy who made the implant that scammed me, 15+ hikvision, not detected seems the supported firmware is 5.4 but they get shipped with 5.7 when you buy it)

Trigun

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried Blue Iris, which is almost perfect except for the absence of fisheye support and multi-hard disk management.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris does support multiple hard disks. It just might work differently than you expect. In Blue Iris Settings > Storage tab, you can configure each of these folders to be on a different hard drive. (and rename the folders if you like by clicking again after it is selected)

1696282442803.png

Then you can configure different cameras to record to different folders.

It is also possible to configure Blue Iris to move videos from one disk to another when the first disk's allocation is full, but it is not much recommended here because that just puts more demand on your disks for little reason, and adds more complexity which could cause headaches down the road.

For a lot of cameras recording continuously, especially when you want to use the timeline for simultaneous multi-camera playback, I do strongly encourage getting a high-endurance SSD (or a mirror raid configuration of two). Record directly to that, and have Blue Iris move the video off to HDDs when the SSDs are full. The SSD will provide MUCH better seeking times.

Trigun

n3wb
Reaction score
However, that doesn't resolve the issue with my fisheye cameras. I couldn't manage to record them, and while I think it might be fixable, the main problem is that I can't view a dewarped image with PTZ control like I can with Nuuo and QVR. For example, this is a snapshot of how I see the fisheye with QVRPro, and it's similar with Nuuo. I was expecting something similar for Blue Iris as well. 1696309771115.png1696309978944.png

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this thread is old.
May I ask, are you using Nuuo Mainconsole as your CCTV surveillance system at the supermarket?
Thank you.

Trigun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this thread is old.
May I ask, are you using Nuuo Mainconsole as your CCTV surveillance system at the supermarket?
Thank you.
I removed NUUO for Blue Iris, as I think it's better, but with Blue Iris, when I open a single camera (which is a fisheye), sometimes it loses connection and freezes. The biggest issue is the absence of fisheye support; you can't see a dewarped live image and you are forced to see like that 1714485633629.png

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I removed NUUO for Blue Iris, as I think it's better, but with Blue Iris, when I open a single camera (which is a fisheye), sometimes it loses connection and freezes. The biggest issue is the absence of fisheye support; you can't see a dewarped live image and you are forced to see like that View attachment 193657
BI does not suppport Dewarping feature

Yes, I understand your current issue here.
BI software does not have the cutting edge feature for fish-eye cameras, although they have been around a long time ago.
I suppose BI is not ready to support fully on this kind of camera, as it is more suited for Supermarket application rather than home use.
I suggest you contact BI support on your issue. May be Ken, the developer can look into your issue, and offer a workaround.
Or maybe you can try Synology NAS' Surveillance Station which has 2 free camera licenses. This may cost you more.
On the side note, may I know the reason why to switch from Nuuo to BI?
Due to what reason you decided to switch over, lack of support or end support or the software is buggy?

Last edited:

Trigun

n3wb
Reaction score
BI does not suppport Dewarping feature

Yes, I understand your current issue here.
BI software does not have the cutting edge feature for fish-eye cameras, although they have been around a long time ago.
I suppose BI is not ready to support fully on this kind of camera, as it is more suited for Supermarket application rather than home use.
I suggest you contact BI support on your issue. May be Ken, the developer can look into your issue, and offer a workaround.
Or maybe you can try Synology NAS' Surveillance Station which has 2 free camera licenses. This may cost you more.
On the side note, may I know the reason why to switch from Nuuo to BI?
Due to what reason you decided to switch over, lack of support or end support or the software is buggy?
Mainconsole is slow; when switching from a single camera to a multiview (or vice versa), the software disconnects and reconnects to all cameras, resulting in a 2-5 second black screen.

To view a recording, you need to open a new program, establish a connection where you select the camera and the start-end time of the recording, press ok, and wait for the connection (which can take 1 minute if you select a wide time range or many cameras, or a few seconds if you select something like 1 hour with a single camera), only then can you check the recording.

Blue Iris is much smoother in this aspect, and I think it's the most important part, as most of the time I need to check the recording to see if a customer was stealing or not, so I need to know before they leave the shop.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mainconsole is slow; when switching from a single camera to a multiview (or vice versa), the software disconnects and reconnects to all cameras, resulting in a 2-5 second black screen.

To view a recording, you need to open a new program, establish a connection where you select the camera and the start-end time of the recording, press ok, and wait for the connection (which can take 1 minute if you select a wide time range or many cameras, or a few seconds if you select something like 1 hour with a single camera), only then can you check the recording.

Blue Iris is much smoother in this aspect, and I think it's the most important part, as most of the time I need to check the recording to see if a customer was stealing or not, so I need to know before they leave the shop.
Thanks for sharing,
Yes, I had the same feeling, I too, used to have the software.

But it was real hassle to use, it involved too many steps taken to complete a simple task.
I guess Mainconsole sw is not light weight as BI.
Very awkward when searching for footage.
I think Nuuo have stopped development on this product. I could not find details on this in the net.
Even my own vendor said, they no longer selling it.

Last edited:

Trigun

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing,
Yes, I had the same feeling, I too, used to have the software.

But it was real hassle to use, it involved too steps taken to complete a simple task.
I guess Mainconsole sw is not light weight as BI.
Very awkward when searching for footage.
I think Nuuo have stopped development on this product. I could not find details on this in the net.
Even my own vendor said, they no longer selling it.
i tried mainconsole, qnap, BI, dvr, other sw demos like milestone , the best quality maybe is from mainconsole, but is slow, overall BI is the best i tried (and the cheaper 1 too)
with all except BI i can't see from home the records, with BI i can easily play a camera with a 16x speed without problems
i still didn't found a good way for do face recognition and create a blacklist :-D