Help with network and cam system

Vger

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to install a camera system for the house and figured I'd build a home network while I'm at it.
Is there a similar forum for networking?​

I've learned so much in the last few days about IP cams but I don't know much beyond the basics of networking.

The cam system will be an NVR with 8 PoE switch that I will connect to the network via a 16 port switch.
I have my router in my office but plan to install the 16 port switch and NVR in my pantry(a/c and centrally located). My house was built with cat5 cabling from each room to a junction in the garage so I just need to do some re-routing and add lines based on camera placement.

My current setup is using 3 outputs of the router, Win10 main computer, work laptop station, linux box, and I plan on using the 4th output to go to the switch in the pantry. No home network is currently setup, just 3 computers accessing the internet via the router.

Is that viable for a network or do i need to relocate the router to the pantry and run everything off the 16 port switch?​

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can put a switch in the garage at the junction location.

If you feel your garage is secure and cool enough - I would look at some of the various secure network cabinets you can install and use that location instead of the pantry as the already installed networking cables are already going to the garage.

You can even sometimes find a good deal on a networking cabinet on craigslist, and typically there are options to install a fan or 2 to cool the equipment installed.

Vger

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in Florida and the garage gets too hot. The junction is only 20 feet from the pantry so it's not too bad of a move. I may have to extend or run new cable from the 2 front rooms.