Help with initialisation of empiretech cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive used the Config tool in the past, but its been years. Didnt recall it being able to see across networks. But logging into the camera GUI is simpler
That is the whole purpose of the Config Tool is to find that camera at 192.168.1.108 subnet and allow the user to then put that camera on whatever their LAN subnet is without having to temporarily change their LAN to the 192.168.1.xx subnet.

Now many by default have their home at 192.168.1.xx subnet, so then the camera is readily visible when plugged in.

It doesn't work on cameras connected behind the NVR, or at least usually LOL.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep knew it couldnt talk to cameras plugged into the NVR PoE ports.

It actually has a number of functions, but I never use it for initilization

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @wittaj

Please excuse my confusion here. Earlier you said I don’t need the internet to initialise the cameras. And then the opposite in post #16. I’m certain that I’m misunderstanding things.

I’d like to initialise without connecting to the internet at all. I have downloaded the entire installer tool as suggested. Am I missing something? Please forgive my inexperience here.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No you do not need internet. You can unplug your home router from the internet and still connect to the camera

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @wittaj
Please excuse my confusion here. Earlier you said I don’t need the internet to initialise the cameras. And then the opposite in post #16.
No, that's not what wittaj said.
Hi @wittaj
I’m certain that I’m misunderstanding things.
You are, which is understandable from all the good info you're getting so I'm not going to add anything.
You answered my question in my post #3, thanks. :cool:

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@wittaj

You mention internet explorer, specifically. However I can get that version for Mac, only edge. On windows 11 that’s also a problem unless, based on what I’m reading, I go back to w10 which Microsoft won’t allow because they want me on w10. Any advice?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No I did not conflict and always advocate for cameras not connected to router.

Explorer is still available in windows 11.

Some cameras are better than others and some people have no problems using other browsers. But to ensure no issues, Explorer is the best option.

Now on a MAC, all bets are off. Lots of threads here with people having issues with MAC computers since these cameras are designed around Explorer. . You can try Pale Moon on MAC.

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No I did not conflict and always advocate for cameras not connected to router.

Explorer is still available in windows 11.

Some cameras are better than others and some people have no problems using other browsers. But to ensure no issues, Explorer is the best option.

Now on a MAC, all bets are off. Lots of threads here with people having issues with MAC computers since these cameras are designed around Explorer. . You can try Pale Moon on MAC.
Excuse my wording. I misunderstood the two points you were making. Apologies.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excuse my wording. I misunderstood the two points you were making. Apologies.
No problem. It can happen in texts. Especially when you are new to this stuff. And using apple products :lmao: (just kidding LOL)

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys. Got both up and running separately but once both are connected to the router I am only getting a single feed.

Also I tried adding both cameras directly to the laptop but no joy. Is there a setting I’m missing?

I am using two cameras by the way.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you make each camera a different IP address? If they are both the same, then they will conflict and only show one.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, I dont advocate leaving them attached directly to the router. At minimum buy a small switch. I only meant to use that method for the 5 min it takes to configure them

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did not. And I feel apprehensive saying this as a newb and this being your field, I’m not exactly sure how to do that.

As things stand I have both plugged into the router and powered but the router is only registering one.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did not. And I feel apprehensive saying this as a newb and this being your field, I’m not exactly sure how to do that.

As things stand I have both plugged into the router and powered but the router is only registering one.
As already stated, each camera has to have it's own, unique IP address to avoid having issue's you are seeing with only one cam.

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bigredfish I plan on using iris or one of the other monitoring programs but as for now I’m storing the feeds to my laptop which has a few Tabs of storage.

Sitting and waiting on info on how to give each cam its own ip. Before moving on to how to use the cams directly with the laptop without the router.

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As already stated, each camera has to have it's own, unique IP address to avoid having issue's you are seeing with only one cam.
I understand. Could you give advise on how I do that within the dhua ip config interface?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive used the Config tool in the past, but its been years. Didnt recall it being able to see across networks.
I see an opportunity for garbled terminology here. Config Tool does not see across different physical networks. It is able to access different subnets on the same physical network. Example for typical home network:

Your network subnet is 192.168.100.xxx

You can reach the camera at 192.168.1.108 two different ways:
1) Temporarily change your computer's network address to 192.168.1.something, then access the camera at 192.168.1.108
2) Run Config Tool, which will find the camera at 192.168.1.108

The biggest user gotcha with config tool that I've run into is that after initializing the camera, you need to reset the Config Tool search password before it will let you change the camera's IP address to be on your own network.

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been refreshing this thread for a while because I’m hoping someone can explain the process of changing my up. Do I do that within the web interface located at 192.168.1.108 or elsewhere?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go into network tab in camera and change the ip address off of .108

If you plan to get more cameras then do not have any of these at .108

Make one like 192.168.1.110 and the other 192.168.1.111