Help with HD Wi-Fi IP Camera Recommendation for Home Use - Babies' Room.

MiOB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello friends :)

I have been trying to find a suitable camera for my purpose - monitoring my babies' room, especially at night time.
I could have booked one of these "special" baby monitors, but I haven't any interest in those, as they quite "low tech".

After searching around, I assume Hikvision or Dahua cameras are the ones for me.

My price range is ~USD100.00. (could be a little more if it's worth it, but preferably less.)
I want to buy it off of Ali Express (or Amazon), as I need International Shipping of course.

I simply wish the following:

* HD picture - the best picture it could get for that price, preferably 3MP/4MP.

* Excellent IR quality for complete night vision - I've read and seen Hikvision's EXIR technology. Is it the best of its kind in this price range?

* Pan/Tilt - I am going to place the camera on a high closet, and won't mount it to the wall.
therefore I want to be able to be able to track the babies around in daylight time.

* Audio / Microphone - If possible, I wish I could hear what's going around, and also speak back. so 2-way audio possibility would be great.

* Stream/Record - Of course, I would like to access the camera from our smartphones/tablets around the house, so Wi-Fi is a must,
and a stable streaming protocol / software.

I appreciate your help very very much. :) perhaps those of you who have also searched after such a solution and found a great one?

I found the following camera - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-English-Version-IP-Camera-4-0-megapixel-V5-3-3-Multi-Language-IR-Bullet-Camera/32437275263.html.

Are there better?

Thanks again.

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That camera does not have PTZ.. I have been looking at this one to play with though found HERE

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
get something with a SD storage and schedule it to record every night, recording over WiFi sucks and just kills your WiFi.. you can fit about a day of 1080p continuously on a 64gb sd, about 3 days with lower resolution.. if you just did 12h over night you could get 6 days at a lower resolution.. and for kids room low resolution recording is fine, you mainly want audio and a general idea whats going on.

That Amcrest seems to be pretty decent from what Ive heard from some trusted people on this site..

dont know your budget, but about the best indoor ptz you can get is this, a wifi version is avilable: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9163-Dahua-Mini-Black-Face-PTZ-(SD29204S-GN)

Its not a countertop model, but I dont think those are wise in a kids room.. I had to hide the audio monitor behind the dresser before I got video just to keep him from fucking with it or unplugging it.. consider PoE just so you can power it remotely from another room, then you can use powerline networking and never worry about wifi issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to see your child breathing, maybe the Huisun PTZ? $200.00 is twice your budget but itsa heckuva camera, or so I've heard. Personally, I would worry about the health effects of IR. People tell me such worries are hogwash, but I'd research it thoroughly before subjecting a baby to IR.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to see your child breathing, maybe the Huisun PTZ? $200.00 is twice your budget but itsa heckuva camera, or so I've heard. Personally, I would worry about the health effects of IR. People tell me such worries are hogwash, but I'd research it thoroughly before subjecting a baby to IR.
For what its worth, there is a huge amount of infrared in sunlight. This is why infrared filters are used in cameras.

The health concern, I think, is that infrared alone won't make the pupils of the eyes contract. Instead the pupils remain dilated (larger / more open) when staring at an infrared source in an otherwise dark room, causing the eyes to take in a lot of the infrared. Whether it is a potentially dangerous amount is unknown to me.

Here is an interesting write-up from a guy who built himself a special set of goggles that blocked UV and visible light so he could walk around outside seeing only the infrared portion of sunlight, which is apparently enough for human eyes to see by as long as the non-IR wavelengths are filtered out. http://amasci.com/amateur/irgoggl.html

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno Brian...they were doing frontal lobotomy's with an ice pick though the eye socket to cure depression 60 years ago. Trust no one sez Q.

MiOB

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all :)

In regards to your thoughts about IR:

I agree and am aware of the whatsoever hazards it may have, but I'm actually not going to keep the cam working at night for recording.
At night, I simply want to turn it on for a quick check-up and turn it off. So I believe there won't be any long periods of IR blasting.
@Q2U:

Is this the camera you were referring to?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-New-Model-S2lM-System-2MP-10X-IP-Bullet-PTZ-Camera-IP66-Weatherproof-Sony-CCTV-Camera/1248007_32647966119.html

Do you recommend it due to its 10X optical zoom?
@nayr:

Actually, my budget is ~USD100, so USD200 is way over it. I would have been OK to pay an extra USD20-30 for a better product.
So the Amcrest ProHD is the best image quality and IR vision at that price?

Thanks again.:)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
turning the cameras back on to check it is not feasible, your looking at a min or so for the camera to bootup and connect to the wifi.. most of these cameras you cant remotely turn on/off IR (The Mini Black face dahua you can)

if that concerns you then just get one without IR, and put a lamp in there you can turn on/off remotely.. but imho, IR is harmless to your baby.. unless you live in California.. then it will get cancer and die most definitely.. more than likely it'll be ~90 years from now, but its the IR's fault. /end sarcasm

10x zoom is serious overkill indoors, and its not wifi, or have audio.. no idea why he recommended that to you, it'd make a horrid baby cam eh.

I dunno what the WiFi version runs but Ive seen them on sale for ~$160 on aliexpress lately for the mini-black face.

MiOB

n3wb
Reaction score
Of course you have... :) I meant the ones which are on sale now, as per the link I provided...

MiOB

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct you are... :single_eye: I didn't notice that..

What if I passed on both WiFi feature (less radiation in their room) and PTZ feature (and view only half a room, where the beds are),
and opted for Ethernet connection, would you recommend any of the 5 cameras?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
/pretends you didn't make a wifi radiation comment...

the mini turret without a doubt.. they look pretty good indoors.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@MiOB
There have been several threads regarding this topic in the past. You say standard baby monitors are "low tech" - yet they are designed with the EXACT specifications you have listed above, with the exception of 3/4mp video quality.

1. You know what your kids look like - 3mp,4mp is overkill and basically pointless IMO.
2. They have a cost effective PTZ option - the majority of your "security cameras" do not.
3. Comes with a dedicated monitor and allows for smart device connection as well. Why not have a dedicated monitor with audio and visual as well as secondary visual lights for audio detection. However - I feel your Smart Device need is pointless and devices like these should stay off the internet/wi-fi connection. I'm not paranoid but there is no reason to have images of a sleeping child broadcast onto the internet even if secure and passworded... use the damn included handheld monitor.
4. With what you are looking to do you'll have to modify and add equipment to your hardware. Its going to be a hacked together solution. Yes the "video" quality may be better - but in the end "will it be worth it"? You'll have multi cables to run, external speakers to wire, additional devices (smart devices to connect), etc... The majority of people prior to you in threads similar to this have all basically realized "nope". However only you can make that determination...

This is a solid option with your requirements... It's plug and play, and has the remote view option if you "must" enable it...
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Monitor-Internet-Viewing/dp/B00F5QTESS

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP-

If you can run a wire, def run a wire. Streaming a quality pic from wireless is futile. We have had the Hikvision IR Cube DS‑2CD2432F‑IW up in our babies room now for almost 2 years and it's been rock solid (knock on wood). I would think you would be more than happy with the quality. We bring an old (spare) smartphone loaded with one of the many apps available in today's market and keep it plugged in beside us in bed. We hear the minimalist of sounds and can zoom in to certain extent to check on things if need be.

Check out the install pic below in the corner of the room which covers the entire room: