Help with Camera Location, and camera recommendation

SuperMiguel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All! I'm currently building a house, I already prewired the Red dots on the attached floor plan (arrows point the direction of the camera will be installed, and the ones on the back missing arrows, they actually face the backyard) , the numbers next to the dot represent the number of wires if larger than 1, I used CAT 6A. I should have posted this before doing the wiring but too late for that, what's done is done, but I can go back and run a wire or two if you guys see that I missed something. Any suggestion/recommendation is appreciated.

Note: Bedroom 5 has a camera because that will be a playroom for the kids, and I want to see if they are killing each other when I'm downstairs.

Also want to know what cameras do you recommend? I want PoE, 24/7 recording for sure, good resolution, and durable. On my previous house I had about 10 Unifi G3, and they worked fine initially but eventually they all got the stuck IR filter, so images either looked black while dark, or pink in the morning. So I'm not sure I want to go with them again. Based on reviews here the Dahua Starlight are probably my best bet? I'm open to running a windows box for Blue Iris if that's the best way to go. (Ideally I can use the motion trigger an action in home assistant, but not sure, if any software currently support that)

Also PTZ are they useful for home use? where should I consider them (location wise)? How durable are them?

Attachments

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All! I'm currently building a house, I already prewired the Red dots on the attached floor plan (arrows point the direction of the camera will be installed, and the ones on the back missing arrows, they actually face the backyard) , the numbers next to the dot represent the number of wires if larger than 1, I used CAT 6A. I should have posted this before doing the wiring but too late for that, what's done is done, but I can go back and run a wire or two if you guys see that I missed something. Any suggestion/recommendation is appreciated.

Note: Bedroom 5 has a camera because that will be a playroom for the kids, and I want to see if they are killing each other when I'm downstairs.

Also want to know what cameras do you recommend? I want PoE, 24/7 recording for sure, good resolution, and durable. On my previous house I had about 10 Unifi G3, and they worked fine initially but eventually they all got the stuck IR filter, so images either looked black while dark, or pink in the morning. So I'm not sure I want to go with them again. Based on reviews here the Dahua Starlight are probably my best bet? I'm open to running a windows box for Blue Iris if that's the best way to go. (Ideally I can use the motion trigger an action in home assistant, but not sure, if any software currently support that)

Also PTZ are they useful for home use? where should I consider them (location wise)? How durable are them?
Welcome @SuperMiguel

I like more cameras covering the garage door / driveway area... remember to also place the cameras low enough.. 6-8ft high is preferred for better results..

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I personally like PTZ cameras but for best coverage multiple cameras work best. They are never facing the wrong way.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Study this: cliff notes

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can not ID the Bad guy , your cameras did not do the job. test your camera placement

1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door. 4MM or 6MM lens
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.

=======================
quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

SuperMiguel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all, even after reading many post, im still struggling with picking up cameras. I do know that i want to purchase from EmpireTech in Amazon: Amazon.com . I also want to use turrets. But still struggling on which is the best camera for my house... I want audio, not sure i care about SD cards since they will all be connected to blue iris. Any suggestion?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get the turret varifocal in the 5442 series.

The SD cards are good for redundancy - BI or the computer poops out or BI is updating, you still have coverage.