Help with Camera Choice - 2nd story placement

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've ordered 5 EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 cameras for strategic placement 8-10 ft off the ground.

I'd like to have a 6th camera under the eave (attached to soffit) of my second story (18-20ft high) facing out to my backyard for broad surveillance. Not looking to identify, just simply detect activity. My backyard slopes up with multiple levels of retaining walls, so the second story is practically eye level with the street that's back there about 150ft. Does a PTZ make sense for this purpose given the area of coverage will be broad? That way, it can auto-zoom, track, pan, etc. and isolate a person or thing once it's detected. I was thinking about something like this:

Or, should I just stick with the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 for that location, or something else?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For broad surveillance and not requiring IDENTIFY, I would go with the 180 camera.

The problem with just a PTZ is it could be looking left and someone comes from the right. The PTZ starts with a higher focal length to begin with, so unless your backyard width is very narrow, you wouldn't see the whole yard left to right with the PTZ.

Unless your backyard is like 900 feet deep, that PTZ is way overkill for a backyard.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you have a camera you recommend? What about a unit like this one?

Or should I just put two T54IR-ZE-S3s cameras up there to get coverage? It would be cheaper than the one multi-sensor cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I linked the 180 in my post that is the turret model. I prefer it over the bullet. Keep in mind the 180 camera cannot see infrared.

But all things being equal, you can't go wrong with the T54IR-ZE either. It will give you much more flexibility and ability to zoom it in to capture what you want, or even relocate as your system expands.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I linked the 180 in my post that is the turret model. I prefer it over the bullet. Keep in mind the 180 camera cannot see infrared.

But all things being equal, you can't go wrong with the T54IR-ZE either. It will give you much more flexibility and ability to zoom it in to capture what you want, or even relocate as your system expands.
I saw that one. Looks cool but as you said, no IR and aren't the image sensors too small for 4k? Perhaps higher resolution would be better for a broader, longer range purpose in this case where there's no close range motion?

There is a street light way back there and I have a porch light down below, so perhaps that would be enough ambient light (not very much though) to make this camera clear at night. But at that point, I might as well just get two T54IR-ZEs with IR and better lowlight capability.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately it has been proven time and time again that more MP doesn't equate to a better long range viewing compared to same focal length of a lower MP camera, especially at night.

The problem with the street light is it would be behind the person, so you have a backlit situation where the face will be black unless you have enough light from the front direction to counter it, so you would probably need infrared to combat it.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately it has been proven time and time again that more MP doesn't equate to a better long range viewing compared to same focal length of a lower MP camera, especially at night.

The problem with the street light is it would be behind the person, so you have a backlit situation where the face will be black unless you have enough light from the front direction to counter it, so you would probably need infrared to combat it.
Makes sense. I'll just stick with ole trusty...plus, with the varifocal lens, I can adjust them to best compliment each other for maximum coverage and focal point.