Help with alarm in pigtail wire

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm connecting a PIR motion sensor to new PTZ and am wondering how to best connect the relay wires to the small wires on the pigtail.

Twist the wires and then electrical tape down the wire insulation a few inches? I've done this in the past, but it creates an upside-down V shape that isn't very tidy

For audio in, I'm going to use an RCA balun so I feel better for that one: Amazon.com: AILTECK RCA Cable Audio Adapter, Phono Speaker Wire to Male RCA Connector Adapter Plug, AV Screw Terminal solderless Adapter(2-Pack): Industrial & Scientific

What do you folks do for these very thin pigtail wires so they don't break?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm connecting a PIR motion sensor to new PTZ and am wondering how to best connect the relay wires to the small wires on the pigtail.

Twist the wires and then electrical tape down the wire insulation a few inches? I've done this in the past, but it creates an upside-down V shape that isn't very tidy

For audio in, I'm going to use an RCA balun so I feel better for that one: Amazon.com: AILTECK RCA Cable Audio Adapter, Phono Speaker Wire to Male RCA Connector Adapter Plug, AV Screw Terminal solderless Adapter(2-Pack): Industrial & Scientific

What do you folks do for these very thin pigtail wires so they don't break?
stagger the splice and solder them, then use 3M electrical tape to wrap them with. if you stagger the splice you dont have to worry about a short. Also put the splice in a weatherproof box if possible

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
as sebastiantombs mentioned, soldering but I'm normally use a small "drop" of epoxy (hardener + resin mix) to create a thin layer over the surface

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Somewhat related, what is alarm com1?

I think I should use alarm in1 and alarm GND to connect my optex PIR motion sensor, but just curious what alarm com1 was.

20210703_225736.jpg

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
several brands may lable it differently. It will be easier if you have an ohmmeter to confirm. GND is always the mechanical 0V reference. COM would be the floating reference, the non-connected terminal of a relay (NO/COM/NC)