0 lux (Illuminator on)

H-Z4HE
0.0007 lux@F1.6 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0004 lux@F1.6 (B/W, 30 IRE)
0 lux (Illuminator on)

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've also found that I can't run my shutter slower that 1/120 or I will get horizontal rolling banding due to flicker/shutter speed problems.
Have you tried setting the shutter anti flicker to 50Hz or 60Hz? The street light is likely sending out pulsed light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried setting the shutter anti flicker to 50Hz or 60Hz? The street light is likely sending out pulsed light.
The problem with anitflicker is it removes some options and limits the speed of the shutter and then can cause motion blur.

Much better option is to adjust shutter to some odd ms so that it isn't on the same cycle as the lights.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem with anitflicker is it removes some options and limits the speed of the shutter and then can cause motion blur.

Much better option is to adjust shutter to some odd ms so that it isn't on the same cycle as the lights.
On that basis, I have just adjusted my max shutter (ms) and my FPS to prime numbers.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Results seem much better last night with the new settings: Clipboard_Sidewalk_Cam.20230501_050225-050238.106.mp4

200% zoom:
Untitled.png

Face isn't nearly as blown out and you can see some detail there as she walks under the lamp. I wish I had more targets last night. Normally I have all kinds of foot traffic in front of my house in the middle of the night with dog walkers, runners, etc. but I didn't get anyone in front from 7:30 pm all the way till 5am which this video is from. There is some noise in the image but it's really only apparent in the darker parts of the image (skyline and houses on other side of street).

Camera settings for last night:

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Setting it to 60Hz at 15fps just locks you into shutter speeds of 1/30, 1/60, 1/120, etc... Since I set a fixed shutter speed of 1/120 that is basically doing the same thing as setting it to 60Hz and picking that shutter speed. I think I can up the FPS and then I'd have a bigger range to play with shutter speed that wouldn't cause flicker but I've never messed with it since 15fps @1/120 shutter is pretty darn good for night time settings. Here is a good article here that goes into more detail on it: Avoid Video Flicker: Understanding PAL (50Hz) & NTSC (60Hz)

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I think with those settings that @wittaj suggested I may be at the extreme edge of what I can do with that camera at the 3.6mm focal length. I'm really tempted to buy a 6mm 4K-X for this location and I could move the 4K-T to another area of the house I run a 5442 in currently.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think with those settings that @wittaj suggested I may be at the extreme edge of what I can do with that camera at the 3.6mm focal length. I'm really tempted to buy a 6mm 4K-X for this location and I could move the 4K-T to another area of the house I run a 5442 in currently.
I thought I picked up on this forum somewhere that the 6mm Dahua has image issues.
That 6mm Hikvision looks good, though. Will it maintain full functionality on a Dahua NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I picked up on this forum somewhere that the 6mm Dahua has image issues.
That 6mm Hikvision looks good, though. Will it maintain full functionality on a Dahua NVR?
It will not have full functionality. The image will certainly come in. The Hikvision version of IVS with AI may or may not come over the same way. It should at least trigger, but it would probably just be external triggers and not sortable by human or vehicle.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj, do you know if the 1/1.2 sensor 6mm Dahua issues are being addressed?
It is a useful focal length, that leaves a gaping hole in a lineup that has no varifocal option with that sensor.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 6mm Color4K-X is available in the store, at least it reported "in stock" when I selected the focal length. I wouldn't be surprised if the turret compactness is making things more difficult.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't know this. Do you have a link? I'd like to read up on it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the issue was the shallow depth of focus, but if you are within the sweetspot distance wise, it should be ok.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't know this. Do you have a link? I'd like to read up on it.
I don't know where precisely on this forum, and I may have understood it wrong.
But I thought there was a reference by another forumite saying that @EMPIRETECANDY no longer stocked the 6mm because of image softness issues,

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I go to dahua directly, they don't have a 6mm turret version. The 6mm bullet version lists a minimum distance of 12.9 m (42.3 ft). And thats is where it gets comical. Because Identify ends at 16.6 m (54.46 ft).
This cam currently caters to a very small group. If your target is closer, you will likely be better served with another cam, even if it only delivers unblurred 4MP. And if it is this far away, you might prefer the
IPC-HFW5449T1-ZE-LED.
I can see why 6mm isn't doing good with this cam.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing I'd tackle is the white balance. Taht sodium lamp is terrible. Move white balance on night settings from Auto to whatever works best for you and removes that yellow colour cast.

I'd also suggest 120th is too slow a shutter. The woman is blurred and the street lamp should have plenty of light. I use a range with 250th (8ms) set as the maximum permittable. I'll post my rear yard camera settings later when I'm at my BI pc, as it works with only a 5w led for illumination.

One cure for blow out would be to lower the contrast a little. You may find 60 is just too strong in that situation.

PS I find the focual point on my 3.6's to be around 16 feet or so. They're very good at distance but not so good close up.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I go to dahua directly, they don't have a 6mm turret version. The 6mm bullet version lists a minimum distance of 12.9 m (42.3 ft). And thats is where it gets comical. Because Identify ends at 16.6 m (54.46 ft).
This cam currently caters to a very small group. If your target is closer, you will likely be better served with another cam, even if it only delivers unblurred 4MP. And if it is this far away, you might prefer the
IPC-HFW5449T1-ZE-LED.
I can see why 6mm isn't doing good with this cam.
And yet look how good the 6mm image is on the Hikvision camera on the first page of this thread. So it is doable.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing I'd tackle is the white balance. Taht sodium lamp is terrible. Move white balance on night settings from Auto to whatever works best for you and removes that yellow colour cast.

I'd also suggest 120th is too slow a shutter. The woman is blurred and the street lamp should have plenty of light. I use a range with 250th (8ms) set as the maximum permittable. I'll post my rear yard camera settings later when I'm at my BI pc, as it works with only a 5w led for illumination.

One cure for blow out would be to lower the contrast a little. You may find 60 is just too strong in that situation.

PS I find the focual point on my 3.6's to be around 16 feet or so. They're very good at distance but not so good close up.

1/120 = 8.33ms
1/250= 4ms

I agree I prefer 1/1250 when I have enough light to do it, but it takes a lot of light