Help Troubleshooting Camera / NVR Change / Cat5e/6 cable run - and how to salvage a bad cable run with at least 2 good pairs

thielsa

n3wb
Reaction score
I am hoping someone on this forum can help me figure out what is wrong with my camera setup. I recently changed my control 4 Luma cameras/nvr with a Reolink system. I was able to get everything working with the NVR and new cameras except for one location. I tried two different cameras in this spot and neither would connect to my NVR. I tried my Klein ethernet tester and received the following error code. I checked both cable ends and the cable running into the attic/wall and see nothing broken/damaged. Does anyone have any insight into what could be wrong? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. IMG_4098.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You didn't ask, but wow one junk system to another :lmao:

Would suggest you return the Reolink unless you don't care about night performance.

It looks like an issue with the 7-8 pair of wires - corrosion you don't see or a kink somewhere along the line. Or maybe it is the longest length or CCA wiring?

You could try Deoxit as that has brought to life many cables and cameras that looked dead due to corrosion not seen or you could try snipping the connectors off and re-terminating new ones.

thielsa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I really like the software interface Reolink has. But will do some research on this forum for other ideas. Thanks for the suggestion on the cable ends. Will give a try tomorrow. Definitely not corroded but I may have damaged in the changes I made.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. I really like the software interface Reolink has. But will do some research on this forum for other ideas. Thanks for the suggestion on the cable ends. Will give a try tomorrow. Definitely not corroded but I may have damaged in the changes I made.
do let us know what the issue turns out to be.

( note, this is one reason I like to run an extra cable to each position .. )

thielsa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice on how to read the Klein tool.... I found a YouTube video that indicated that as long as I had two pairs of good wires I could use them to operate the camera. I found similar indication on a Reolink support site. Here is the video:

I used two of the pairs that tested good and ran them into the 1/2/3/6 positions as shown in the video. The camera turned on and has been working well since.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice on how to read the Klein tool.... I found a YouTube video that indicated that as long as I had two pairs of good wires I could use them to operate the camera. I found similar indication on a Reolink support site. Here is the video:

I used two of the pairs that tested good and ran them into the 1/2/3/6 positions as shown in the video. The camera turned on and has been working well since.
Thanks @thielsa

That's a good video .. perhaps modify the title on this thread to include this description ( so that it would make it easier to find )

( example .. perhaps include trouble shooting cable run in the title "Help Troubleshooting Camera/NVR Change" .. to "Help Troubleshooting Camera / NVR Change / Cat5e/6 cable run - and how to salvage a bad cable run with at least 2 good pairs" )