Help setting up Blue Iris integration in Home Assistant

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It sets up an instance of NodeRed within HA. You can then add other palettes to NodeRed and configure the flows for whatever automations you want.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh cool... So I can bring it all into HA and kill the independent NodeRed server? Are there reasons why I shouldn't do that assuming that I'm running HA as my primary automation server and interface?

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You use the call service node in node red to turn things on and off. You use current state to fetch if something is off or on or some other property you are looking for. You can use things like event state or inject nodes to kick of or trigger automations. You use debug to see what properties are available. Wait until or stoptimers hold automations until something else happens or time elapses. Switches route functions of automations. The list goes on, but anything is possible. Once you get fluent, it’s not hard at all.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I get a "Bad gateway" error trying to load it in HA. Have to figure out what that is.

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to set a password in configuration under the add on. You may also have to set SSL to false depending on your setup.

edit: it’s actually credential secret. Line 2 set a password after that.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that and tried various fixes. Still same error.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Odd... spontaneously started working with no changes made after letting it sit for a while. :idk:

Anyway, got it now. Thanks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Back to my original question...

I have the Blue Iris add-on set up within HA. Shows me a list of the cams and lists what it detects as sensors and other points for integration within BI.

Under Automations, I set up a very simple automation to turn on a light based on motion from a cam (Hallway) using the binary_sensor named BlueIris Hallway Motion. If I test the automation within HA using Run Actions, it triggers the light as it should. From the other side on BI, I know that the cam has triggered. However the two don't seem to meet. Even though the cam is triggered, the light never lights. If I look at the history for that sensor in HA, it shows that it has not been triggered. Sensor is enabled. Automation is enabled.

Am I missing or misunderstanding something or does the integration to use the cam as a motion sensor just not work?

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don’t see the history or logbook changing for the binary sensor, that would explain why the automation isn’t triggering. Why that isn’t working is the question.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I'd expect to see the state of the sensor change independent of whatever I'm doing. Unless I'm not understanding how the BI integration is supposed to work and/or if there's some further setup required for each of the sensors that the integration populates. I don't see anything so I was expecting it to work as other typical motion sensors do (which do work).

Have MQTT set up in HA and BI now and looking at doing it that way.