help on cleaning IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 cams

Reaction score
i have several of these mounted under soffits and semi enclosed areas and they all collect something on/in the domes that makes night images pretty awful. nothing is visible by the naked eye and cleaning usually helps but sometimes just shuffles the particles around. anyone have experience with getting these and keeping them clean? i read on another thread that someone cleaned them TOO WELL and removed some coating from the dome which led to another set of issues. So. i'd like to clean them without destroying them.

when my motion lights come on or the sun comes up the image quality is great but at night unless they have just been cleaned they're pretty bad.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a typical case of dirt/dust on domes with IR bounce from all over.

It is why we suggest do not use domes outside or at least not withoutsomewhat protective of the elements.

You need to make sure the dome is clean inside and outside and that the rubber gasket isn't rolled letting IR bleed from within the dome.

Just clean with mild cleaner or soap/water.

Or run it in color or add external IR and turn off the internal IR.

Reaction score
That is a typical case of dirt/dust on domes with IR bounce from all over.

It is why we suggest do not use domes outside or at least not withoutsomewhat protective of the elements.

You need to make sure the dome is clean inside and outside and that the rubber gasket isn't rolled letting IR bleed from within the dome.

Just clean with mild cleaner or soap/water.

Or run it in color or add external IR and turn off the internal IR.
2 of my domes are in a breezeway, they're 12 feet up with walls that drop down 2 feet below the cameras, pretty well protected and despite that they still suffer from it just not to same degree.

Interesting thought about external IR and running cams in daytime mode. That would be a last resort.

Any recommendations if I chose to go that way? POE off a splitter of some sort?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect you get some air circulation in the breezeway that stirs up dust and pollen and who knows what else.

While not recommended, you could try RainX and see if it helps repel. Keep in mind it could cause issues later.

I have the 2MP version of this cam that is more of redundant overview at this point (so I am ok it is is ruined) and I have done RainX for years without an issue on the domes. YMMV.

You can use a splitter and "Y" cable or run a separate cable.

Many people go with this external IR as it is small

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I suspect you get some air circulation in the breezeway that stirs up dust and pollen and who knows what else.

While not recommended, you could try RainX and see if it helps repel. Keep in mind it could cause issues later.

I have the 2MP version of this cam that is more of redundant overview at this point (so I am ok it is is ruined) and I have done RainX for years without an issue on the domes. YMMV.

You can use a splitter and "Y" cable or run a separate cable.

Many people go with this external IR as it is small

Rainex comes in a gel and a spray/liquid which do you use.

Use it inside or out?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the spray and a fine microfiber.

I then wipe the internal lens with same microfiber.

Be careful not to get any RainX on the actual lens as it will mess with the protective covering (don't ask me how I know LOL).