HELP!!! New Installation. Can't Access Camera.

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Below is my system topology. I followed the steps in the Dual NIC installation forum, but can not access the camera's GUI. The 7040 is used, but seems to be working fine . The dual NIC card is new. The camera is new. The Modem and Mesh routers are a month old. When I access the router GUI, I can't see the camera. After following the steps for the dual NIC setup, I can't see/access the camera via the IP address. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What other info should I supply here?

FrenchPlaceNetworkChart.jpg-Page-1.jpg

Last edited:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it was mine, I would start and see if it works hooked up to NIC1.

ETA I should clarify a bit, the router feeding NIC 1 or the feed to the 7040 PC.

Last edited:

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the IPs assigned to each device (camera, NIC1, NIC2, RT-AX68U, 68U-Mesh)?

When you say you can't access the camera GUI, do you mean from the 7040?
I can't access the camera from the 7040 with IE(Edge) using the IP given in the Dual NIC instructions of the OP. I have updated the network map with the IPs that I know. I don't know the IP for the switch or camera, since I can't see them.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The IP of the camera is 192.168.1.108. The switch has no IP address at all. You need to configure, temporarily, NIC2 with an address of 192.168.1.xxx, anything but 108. Then you can access the camera.

While you're in there, for the future, simply go into the advanced section of config for IPv4 and add a second address of 192.168.1.xxx there. Next time you won't need to reconfigure anything that way.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The camera is PoE. How would it work without the power from the switch?
It would not, hooking up in my mind without NIC2 is a lot easier than putting it in words, my apology.

The bottom line is to start removing or eliminating one thing at a time to try and narrow down the problem. I went through this myself a while back and it turns out I had a bad POE switch (there is a thread on the forum about my issue).

Hook it up in the simplest form possible and go from there, make sure your ip addresses are proper.

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IP of the camera is 192.168.1.108. The switch has no IP address at all. You need to configure, temporarily, NIC2 with an address of 192.168.1.xxx, anything but 108. Then you can access the camera.

While you're in there, for the future, simply go into the advanced section of config for IPv4 and add a second address of 192.168.1.xxx there. Next time you won't need to reconfigure anything that way.
Ok, I have disabled the system board NIC. I left the NIC connected to the 7040 on auto IP, and made the NIC connected to the switch 192.168.1.10. When I type that IP in the URL field of the browser, all I get is a bunch of web articles that talk about that IP. No camera GUI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unhook the NIC with internet access.

Then go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address of the NIC 2 to 192.168.1.10

1643659199778.png

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it you are in the USA and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera .108 to something else and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't forget to say no to auto updates and p2p when logging into camera for the first time. Advice is always to disable these unless you really must have them but that's unlikely

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unhook the NIC with internet access.

Then go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address of the NIC 2 to 192.168.1.10

1643659199778.png

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it you are in the USA and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera .108 to something else and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.
Thank you! I connected. The setup wants me to enable P2P. Should I disable P2P? Also, what was the reason for disconnecting the internet NIC?

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't forget to say no to auto updates and p2p when logging into camera for the first time. Advice is always to disable these unless you really must have them but that's unlikely
Thank you. I didn't see your post until after I replied to wittaj.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Disable P2P and auto updates as you do not want these talking to the internet and cloud services.

The reason for disconnecting the internet NIC was to ensure that the cameras didn't phone home until after you set them up.

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I think I screwed the pooch. I wrote down the PW but did not see a username field and can not log back in. Is there a default username, or have I just burned $175?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No default username except admin, but you would need to set that password.

There is always the reset button on the camera to reset it to factory and go thru the process you just did to get the camera off the .108 IP address.

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No default username except admin, but you would need to set that password.

There is always the reset button on the camera to reset it to factory and go thru the process you just did to get the camera off the .108 IP address.
Oh Thank God. I forgot about that reset button. You only need one decimal place to score my IQ. Thank you for the much needed help. Does the camera need power when it is reset, or disconnect power then reset?

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More questions:
1. The initial screen has a message: "Please click here to download and install the plug-in". Given that it is an exe., is this a safe thing to do?
2. This camera doesn't have a storage card. Is there a way to confirm that it is working, i.e. by streaming live images to the browser?