HELP NEEDED -- Dahua camera selection

rf9000

n3wb
Reaction score
To All,

Good afternoon. I'm looking to put 8-10 Dahua cameras around the perimeter of a home and looking for your best model number suggestion and best DVR/NVR model number suggestion. I also want to do DVR/NVR. I was originally looking at 6MP to 8MP cameras but was told that the night quality would not be good?

Here are some features that I would like to have:

1. 4MP to 8MP
2. 4k daylight and night vision
3. Handle cold and hot temperatures
4. Have the Starvis (Starlight) that I'm told is a "must have"
5. powered vie poe or poe+
6. Integrate well with Control4
7. Be able to set it and forget it where as DVR/NVR records automatically all cameras. I would like to be able to easily access recorded files for viewing, etc.
8. Motion triggered recording option

Can you guys please help me and maybe also let me know if I'm forgetting something important?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To All,

Good afternoon. I'm looking to put 8-10 Dahua cameras around the perimeter of a home and looking for your best model number suggestion and best DVR/NVR model number suggestion. I also want to do DVR/NVR. I was originally looking at 6MP to 8MP cameras but was told that the night quality would not be good?

Here are some features that I would like to have:

1. 4MP to 8MP
2. 4k daylight and night vision
3. Handle cold and hot temperatures
4. Have the Starvis (Starlight) that I'm told is a "must have"
5. powered vie poe or poe+
6. Integrate well with Control4
7. Be able to set it and forget it where as DVR/NVR records automatically all cameras. I would like to be able to easily access recorded files for viewing, etc.
8. Motion triggered recording option

Can you guys please help me and maybe also let me know if I'm forgetting something important?

Thanks
Welcome @rf9000

I would highly recommend just picking up one Dahua OEM 4MP starlight+ varifocal and a small PoE switch and just start to play around with it before you jump in and buy a complete kit.

If you like you can also pickup a 8MP Dahua OEM camera with a 1/1.8" sensor to compare the two.

See @SouthernYankee list for recommend models to consider.

Also remember to check out the cliff notes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Welcome to the forum.
Please read study plan before spending money

By a quality NVR that is bigger than you think you will need, Pay close attention to the max MBPS inbound. If you think you need 8 cameras get a 16 camera NVR.
-----------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Last edited:

rf9000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. It was very helpful. But, please forgive me, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. I read a few of the camera reviews but not really sure which is better, etc. I previously thought the higher the megapixel the better but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also did read a review that showed a night time shot in black/white and a night time shot in color. Of course I prefer the color, but does that affect anything else? I just want a good all around camera that has great clarity, great nighttime recognition, and integrates with Control 4. Could you help me with your top suggestion on a Dahua camera and Dahua NVR?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
To use color at night requires a shit ton of white light. The cameras aren't magic, they still need light. So either you provide white light or buy one that has the white LED's built-in. Sometimes unless you DO have enough white light, B&W IR provides better detail.

No idea about "Control4 " integration but for all your other specs, look at the Dahua 5442 series.

Last edited:

rf9000

n3wb
Reaction score
So would you recommend the Dahua 5442 with LED or without LED? Also, for an NVR that does POE, would you recommend the Dahua N54B3P Series? For eight cameras, how many TB would you recommend?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on the location specifics. Each camera location will have different requirements. Not likely you;ll want 8 cameras with bright LED's on around your house all night, you'll have planes trying to land.

On the NVR suggest you browse the International site and buy from @EMPIRETECANDY the local supplier here for the forum. Look at the Pro or Pro AI series

8 Cameras with (2) 4TB drives will give you 3-4 weeks recording give or takea week depending on settings, compression, etc..

rf9000

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so what if I get no LED, will I still have decent low light video? Do you recommend only turret style like someone else on this post did? Do you recommend the 5442? On the NVR, would the NVR5816-4KS2E be sufficient?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5816 has place for 8 HD's a bit of overkill .. start reading. Takes a bit of studying.

I dont recommend ALL of any one type of camera. It depends on the location and what you are trying to achieve in that location. I like bullets outside in a lot of places because I believe they provide a bit better depth of field. Most prefer turrets because of the smaller form factor and the theoretical avoidance of spider webs better.

The light will be different in each location. You will need to do your homework and study/read and decide which camera is best at each location.

That will be $150

Last edited:

rf9000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Kinda hard to study when I don't really know the terms and have no experience. My dealer sells Dahua, maybe I get them to do the placement for me. Was just looking for some help on here because I always like to get my own equipment. What did you mean by the $150?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so what if I get no LED, will I still have decent low light video? Do you recommend only turret style like someone else on this post did? Do you recommend the 5442? On the NVR, would the NVR5816-4KS2E be sufficient?
Hi @rf9000

For the NVR many get the NVR5216-16-4KS2E - the x2xx = has the ability to take 2 HDDs.

No LED models can use the IR leds at night and create a B&W image / video. IF you have enough light around the location you are planning to install the camera, you might be able to keep the camera in full color mode. So you will have a better idea than us if you think there is enough light at night around the places you want to install your cameras. ( some of us have strong street lights next to our homes, some live in rural "see the stars" areas.. )

Thanks. Kinda hard to study when I don't really know the terms and have no experience. My dealer sells Dahua, maybe I get them to do the placement for me. Was just looking for some help on here because I always like to get my own equipment. What did you mean by the $150?
Many professional installer like to install the cameras higher than what we recommend. Take some time to test a camera yourself as they will just throw them up in spots around the house that they think work well enough to "see what happened" but not as good to "ID" someone.

IF you care, you can do a much better job in determining placement than a contractor who wants to minimize the amount of work they need to do for X amount of $.

rf9000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm.....thanks for your reply. Do you have a link from the EMPIRECANDY for that NVR you suggested? On the cameras, most of the areas will be very low light where we want the cameras installed. There are street lights but the home is set back about 60ft from the curb. So does that mean if I buy the LED version, that those LED lights will be on all night? Or do they just come on when motion is detected? That also brings me to this question, do most here have their cameras set to record video 24/7, record video just when motion is detected, or no video and just snap shots when motion is detected?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good place to start

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Instead of jumping in feet first you might want to slow it down and stick your toe in first to test the waters. Seeing a lot of newbs that want to purchase the complete system then set & forget by weeks-end. Unfortunately, there are no perfect/definitive answers. Everyone's property, needs, wants, expectations, effort, $$$, etc. are very different. I was in near the same place as you back in June 2018 when I signed up to this forum. Like you, I was looking for a robust NVR that I could simply plug the cams in and forget about it.

I had tested out two consumer pre-packaged systems from Sam's Club (Lorex, LaView) for near 90 days each system using temporary wiring hanging on the outside of the house. Both were returned and I was frustrated with the overall systems but primarily the NVR. The cams were fine; as I recall, they were 4mp and 5mp bullet style variety. Everything recorded just fine but triggers and IVS were lacking but the biggest issue was when I needed to located an "event". Sitting there with a monitor in the background while replay was going as fast as it could for hours trying to find out who's dog took a dump in the yard next to the "no dog poop" sign was frustrating since you could not actually see the poop in the recording; You had to note the spot in the lawn and review footage until a dog appeared for 1 minutes out of 8 hours. Yeah, this is funny and sounds absurd to but it was a good "test" of the system. I'm telling you this because it didn't take very long on here before many suggested using Blue Iris software running on a dedicated low cost Windows 10 PC which is your NVR. That was their suggestions after I asked what you asked for...a good NVR recommendation. And, having looked at self help videos on YouTube featuring Blue Iris it didn't take long to convince me to take that route. You might want to slow it down and take a look too but many on here are extremely happy with their Dahua or other brand NVR, NAS, free ZoneMinder, etc systems. Just a suggestion....

To make a long story short, after deciding on Blue Iris I started the process of identifying a cheap used computer on eBay, looked at what drives were needed, peripherals, Cat6, tools, yada, yada, yada. That was December 2018 a full 6 months after I joined this forum asking about NVRs. It was January of 2019 that I ordered a couple of varifocal cams recommended by members on this forum. Those two cams along with the Blue Iris server (PC) was my security cam system until December 2019 when I ordered 6 more cams (of variety based on reviews here). Most people probably don't want to move as slow as I did. Part of my delay was involvement of other projects but I did spend some time on this forum from January 2019 to December 2019 (weekly) checking in on this forum, reading reviews, planning, etc. I think a good chunk of folks on here acquired their cams one or two at a time.

The point is...if you can afford to slow it down and study and plan and acquire pieces one at a time it could be better than jumping in feet first then learning how to swim. I'm not far from a newb who's doing the dog paddle but I'm learning everyday; I'm no authority on this subject...just sharing from one newb to another. I'd recommend you use the IPVM Calculator to help plan your cam strategy. You probably want to ask for recommendations on specific needs for specific locations as I think the forum members will better be able to point you to a particular cam model. Just my 2 cents worth...not for everyone. ;)

Yeah, read and re-read those Wiki Cliff Notes!

Last edited:

rf9000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for this response. I would need to make a decision much sooner than this. Wiring begins in about two weeks for the cameras. When you mentioned having to sit through hours of footage to find your culprit, are you saying that using the Dahua NVR is time consuming and doesn't have good search functions? I'm not familiar with Blue Iris. I assume it has some unique search features that let you fins certain events easily? Lastly, I know many on this forum are very knowledgeable and hardcore camera users, but I'm just looking for something simple that will work

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for this response. I would need to make a decision much sooner than this. Wiring begins in about two weeks for the cameras. When you mentioned having to sit through hours of footage to find your culprit, are you saying that using the Dahua NVR is time consuming and doesn't have good search functions? I'm not familiar with Blue Iris. I assume it has some unique search features that let you fins certain events easily? Lastly, I know many on this forum are very knowledgeable and hardcore camera users, but I'm just looking for something simple that will work
Hi @rf9000

Wiring begins in 2 weeks... is this a new build? ( i.e. building a new house? ) or a renovation?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can have the wiring in place and put cameras in as you figure them out. Until you actually put them up and see the coverage and gaps most of it is a guess and a hope.

If you have the opportunity to have extra ran even in places you don't think you need, you will be better off and can add cameras later if you see missing gaps in your coverage.

Most started on this forum thinking they could get by with 4 or 8 cameras and a lot have doubled or tripled that as they realize all the missing gaps.

I started with 4 and was like "WOW I can see all around my house", which I can, but those little 2.8mm lens cameras that give you a wide view do a poor job of identifying anybody other than those you know. By the time you digital zoom in to a suspicious face, it will look like the poor quality versions you see on the news. You really do need a combination of cameras to catch everything and make it useful.

If possible, run at least 2 to each corner of the house (an extra or in case you want a camera looking the other way) and then depending on the layout of the house, may need them for any cutouts or areas where the house isn't a complete square. Consider a midpoint location as well.

Wire is cheap, especially if being done as part of a new build or reno, so don't cheap out - go with more. I thought I had a lot and have still had to make trips to attic and fish more through. All because I thought I had enough ran and found out I didn't.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
What does "the wiring begins in about two weeks" mean? You are having a house built? If so, you really need to ask more questions about location and you NEED TO look at the IPVM Calculator. I recently read a thread on here where a new forum member joined asking about cams and we discovered his builder installed the wiring under the soffit of a two story home....too high, too bad. Or, two conductor wire was run to the doorbell area instead of Cat6....too little, too late. Location of cams is important...adding wire later a pain in the ass depending on the construction. Wanna tear open those brand new wall with fresh paint, probably not. Also, give a lot of thought to the location of your recording equipment, location of router. There's a lot of infrastructure stuff you needed answered first. Cam and NVR discussion can happen a lot later.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a little story, and it goes like this....

It was the early 90's. I bought a vacant lot in a small neighbor, designed a home and had it built. It was 6 or 7 years before 56K modems and home IP cams system was a pipe dream. I did my best, running coax, speaker wire, telephone wire everywhere and anywhere planning for the future...LOL. Recent I did THIS. Was it a pain in the ass? Considering the house was built in the early 90's...No, not bad. If the house had been built in January 2020 I would have considered it a major pain in the ass and a result of poor planning and would have called myself a dumb ass. End of story....THE END.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The better Dahua NVRs have good search and AI capabilities. You’ll be fine with the Pro AI series. He was speaking to just getting started with a big box store cheap system

Last edited: