Help! Need to catch mice or rats on camera at night!

Reaction score
Yes - just those two cameras and a cheap POE switch and of course the cable LOL. Maybe an SD card for storage unless you are storing on a computer.
Thanks so much for your help. Do you mind taking a look at the list of things I got below and let me know if this stuff looks alright for setup?

BV-Tech 6 Port PoE+ Switch (4 PoE+ Ports with 2 Ethernet Uplink and Extend Function) - 60W - 802.3at + 1 High Power PoE Port| Desktop Fanless Design |
Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Patch Internet Cable - 10 Feet (3 Meters)
Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 30 Feet (2 Pack) LAN, utp Cat 6, RJ45, Network Cord, Patch, Internet Cable - 30 ft - Black

I hooked everything up but then got a bit stuck, perhaps because I was trying to set up on a Mac (or have no clue how to locate an IP address)? I've tried to find youtube IP cam install tutorials for dummies but almost all are done on PC's and most assume basic tech knowledge (like the IP address stuff).

Could it be the Dahua is an easier set up (it seems they have their own online system)?

Thanks for your time!!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Blue Iris is a Windows program, but an internet search will find folks that have figured out how to get Windows on a Mac LOL, but that might be more trouble than it is worth.

These cameras are still based around Windows Internet Explorer (even though it has ended how long ago), so a Mac will be problematic. With some plugins in the browser you may get around it, but it might be easier to find someone with a Windows based laptop that you could use to initially set the cameras up.
Ok this is really helpful and makes me feel a little better about how impossible this has seemed! I think you answered this but just want to make sure-- do you know of any camera besides the Smart cameras that is able to work with a Mac?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help. Do you mind taking a look at the list of things I got below and let me know if this stuff looks alright for setup?

BV-Tech 6 Port PoE+ Switch (4 PoE+ Ports with 2 Ethernet Uplink and Extend Function) - 60W - 802.3at + 1 High Power PoE Port| Desktop Fanless Design |
Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Patch Internet Cable - 10 Feet (3 Meters)
Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 30 Feet (2 Pack) LAN, utp Cat 6, RJ45, Network Cord, Patch, Internet Cable - 30 ft - Black

I hooked everything up but then got a bit stuck, perhaps because I was trying to set up on a Mac (or have no clue how to locate an IP address)? I've tried to find youtube IP cam install tutorials for dummies but almost all are done on PC's and most assume basic tech knowledge (like the IP address stuff).

Could it be the Dahua is an easier set up (it seems they have their own online system)?

Thanks for your time!!
Those are fine. Many of us use those!

Ok this is really helpful and makes me feel a little better about how impossible this has seemed! I think you answered this but just want to make sure-- do you know of any camera besides the Smart cameras that is able to work with a Mac?
For the most part, this industry has centered around Windows as the platform. I am sure that some of the consumer junk that is "plug and play" can work with a mac, but then you get ghosting and blur and the other issues you have experienced with the cameras you have.

Do a search here, I am sure someone has figured out how to get this going with a Mac.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Catching rats on a game camera with a PIR sensor has worked for me. I do also get them on the IP camera with line crossing.

bigrat_15 (Medium).JPG

Reaction score
Catching rats on a game camera with a PIR sensor has worked for me. I do also get them on the IP camera with line crossing.

View attachment 83543
Oh that's great. Do you mind letting me know what camera you use? Also, is this guy in motion or stopping to eat? And do you remember how far away you placed the camera to get this?

Those are fine. Many of us use those!

For the most part, this industry has centered around Windows as the platform. I am sure that some of the consumer junk that is "plug and play" can work with a mac, but then you get ghosting and blur and the other issues you have experienced with the cameras you have.

Do a search here, I am sure someone has figured out how to get this going with a Mac.
Great advice. Really appreciate your time.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My game camera is an 11 year old Bushnell Trophy Cam #119405. The picture I posted was from inside a room in a small barn, about 10 feet square. The rats trigger it from at least 5 feet away. The pictures come out pretty well even with motion. The big inconvenience of this is having to retrieve the SD card. Sometimes the camera will sit for a couple of years, then all of a sudden there's an immediate use for it. It has a strap and I usually just strap it to an upside-down 5 gallon bucket. The camera will do still pics or low-res 640x480 video. The most interesting video I got was where the spring trap snapped on the rat's snout, he backed up a few steps, pried the trap off, and walked away. Here's a sample video where it eats the bait without tripping the trap. The rat was about 3 feet from the camera in this.
View attachment Big1_July1-1.mp4

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dont know if I understand right but are you try to reach the cams with no success?
Use only one, you need to be on the same subnet (192.168.1.x) and the cams (both of them) use 192.168.1.108by default.
You need to change that in the settings so they dont use the same address.
You should be able to do that on a mac I guess.

Reaction score
Dont know if I understand right but are you try to reach the cams with no success?
Use only one, you need to be on the same subnet (192.168.1.x) and the cams (both of them) use 192.168.1.108by default.
You need to change that in the settings so they dont use the same address.
You should be able to do that on a mac I guess.
Yeah I think so. I physically "set them up" with the cables and POE switch but then was stuck when it came to time to actually get them "up and running" (using a Mac). I couldn't find much info here or any Youtube so I ordered a cheap HP laptop with Windows installed that is coming tonight. In the meantime I also called a security cam guy but he wants mega bucks and I really just need someone with technical knowledge vs. fancy equipment or a full install.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you do not need to pay someone to do that.

When the laptop arrives, do not connect it to the router - leave it off the internet.

Only plug one camera into the POE switch. Then run a cable to the laptop.

Changing the IP address of your computer to 192.168.1.200, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, nothing for the default gateway. Then try using a web browser to (which is the default IP address of the camera).

Then change the IP address to the same IP address range of your network. Once that happens, you will see that you cannot see that computer on the laptop with that configuration as the camera is now not on that IP address range.

Next unplug that camera and then do the same thing, but make sure that you do not assign it the exact same IP address of the previous camera.

Probably a step or two I am leaving out, but I know someone will chime in with anything I left out (it has been awhile since I did that LOL).

Reaction score
Yeah, you do not need to pay someone to do that.

When the laptop arrives, do not connect it to the router - leave it off the internet.

Only plug one camera into the POE switch. Then run a cable to the laptop.

Changing the IP address of your computer to 192.168.1.200, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, nothing for the default gateway. Then try using a web browser to (which is the default IP address of the camera).

Then change the IP address to the same IP address range of your network. Once that happens, you will see that you cannot see that computer on the laptop with that configuration as the camera is now not on that IP address range.

Next unplug that camera and then do the same thing, but make sure that you do not assign it the exact same IP address of the previous camera.

Probably a step or two I am leaving out, but I know someone will chime in with anything I left out (it has been awhile since I did that LOL).
Wow, thank you for taking the time to write that out for me. I really, really appreciate it. The cam install guy wanted me to get rid of the POE switch and set me up with a 4 channel something plus $100/camera which I just can't swing.

I'm so sorry to bug you guys with these dumb, basic questions, so I understand if answering is totally annoying. I never thought I would need anything like this (nor that rats would ever get comfortable in my apt‍♀)), but since my tech expertise revolves around helping first graders navigate Zoom, it really is pretty overwhelming. Anyhow the laptop is here and I'm going to attempt to set up the cameras tmrw.

Between your instructions to "run a cable to the laptop" and "changing the IP address" I think I've figured out I need software on my PC laptop. The installation instructions that came with the cam are back at my house but do I follow what they say or can I go from "run a cable to my laptop" to "open Blue Iris? and then proceed on...

Thanks again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you will find those instructions to not really help you LOL.

You do not need any software to get the cams going if you follow my steps. It is all web based just by logging into the camera directly by going to the default IP address of the camera. There are some config tools and what not out there, but most of us have found what I said to be the easiest!

Reaction score

You do not need any software to get the cams going if you follow my steps. It is all web based just by logging into the camera directly by going to the default IP address of the camera. There are some config tools and what not out there, but most of us have found what I said to be the easiest!
You're the best. Thank you so much!

Reaction score

Once they're set up, is there a way I can view them remotely?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can do it the way that gets you hacked (using UPnP or Port forward) or setup OpenVPN.

Reaction score
Hi there! So I got the Loryta IPC-T3241T-ZAS 2MP Lite AI IR Vari-Focal Eyeball Network Camera cameras set up but they take 10 seconds to record after motion is triggered. I think I may have clicked on a wrong link. I definitely need something faster than that to (as clearly as possible) pick up mice or rats, indoors, at night, in a small one bedroom apartment. I don't have a large apt where they're running 10 feet in one direction or anything.

I've found both of the cameras below through this thread and another thread here about rodent detection. I'm wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction. I'd be really grateful. You all have been great and I can't wait to send along some clear footage soon. I'll try and figure out how to post what I'm getting from my smart cams. Anyhow, here are the cameras:

Loryta IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera Motorized Vari-Focal 2.7mm–13.5mm Lens

Loryta IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm Fixed Lens 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera English Version

Looking for something that has the highest potential to work. Need the footage to see where they're coming from and/or hopefully break my lease. Thanks in advance. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you look in Setting>Event you will see IVS. Click on IVS and you can set up trip lines or intrusion boxes. I don't use SMD but do use IVS and it triggers, immediately, through Blue Iris so I'd expect the same behavior with an SD card of whatever you're using to record with as long as the recording software accepts ONVIF triggers.