Help me out here with a camera to replace this one(pics included)..Ive read reviews but..

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I still have a question about how to select this one. Ive read looney2ns reviews (thank you!)

I have a lot of light at night coming from these areas circled. Im looking for detail so manual focus adjustments are fine if needed. I feel like this is too far away for IR illumination to make a difference..? The current camera has IR but its an older hikvision thats going out on me. My other cameras were pretty easy to setup since the field of view is similar to other reviews and are setup well. This one has me wondering what, if any, IR illumination will do and how to capture the 40ft to 200ft field best and at night where a lot of light comes in at the camera. Thanks for any suggestions, Im not an expert and only work with my own system. (BI)
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 8.52.17 AM.jpegScreen Shot 2021-11-01 at 8.53.54 AM.jpeg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My first comment is that the camera is too high to be truly effective. It should be no higher than eight feet off the ground. The FOV, I think, should be your back yard, not the parking lot across the street. Mounting lower will help with that.

An auxiliary IR illuminator will help. The light you have is in the background which makes anything coming toward the camera back lit. That, in turn, puts the front, face, in a shadow. The light on what appears to be a garage, above the personnel door, actually reduce the ability of a camera to adjust for lighting because it is relatively bright.

As far as a replacement, I'd suggest a 5442T-AS with a lens no wider than 3.8mm, possibly even a 6mm lens and definitely mounted much lower. At the height of the existing cameras the only identifying information will be a male pattern bald spot on the top of heads, and then they can't be wearing a hat or hoodie.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My first comment is that the camera is too high to be truly effective. It should be no higher than eight feet off the ground. The FOV, I think, should be your back yard, not the parking lot across the street. Mounting lower will help with that.

An auxiliary IR illuminator will help. The light you have is in the background which makes anything coming toward the camera back lit. That, in turn, puts the front, face, in a shadow. The light on what appears to be a garage, above the personnel door, actually reduce the ability of a camera to adjust for lighting because it is relatively bright.

As far as a replacement, I'd suggest a 5442T-AS with a lens no wider than 3.8mm, possibly even a 6mm lens and definitely mounted much lower. At the height of the existing cameras the only identifying information will be a male pattern bald spot on the top of heads, and then they can't be wearing a hat or hoodie.
Im actually trying to get more focus on the area behind the building. I have the backyard covered well. We sometimes get people off the bar/restaurant that come and go through an alley so Id like to capture their path. The camera is mounted 28ft up on the house. Sorry if I didnt explain well.. I plan to replace some other dahua and hikvisions with the 5442 but keep the 5431's, The 5442looks like a fantastic camera

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In that case, use a 5442T-ZE varifocal. It goes out to a 12mm focal length which will get some of the brighter light out of its FOV and improve what you can see across the street. Maybe even a 5442T-Z4E that goes out to 24mm focal length.

Again though, the caution about back lighting of subjects making identification more difficult. And an auxiliary IR like the one below would help mounted a few feet to the side. I'm using one and it lights up to about 250 feet.

Blaster

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With proper tweaking and mounting of a 5442, you could very well be able to keep the cam in color at night with all the lights on that lot.
Maybe place a camera on the other side of that garage to watch the alley way as well.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In that case, use a 5442T-ZE varifocal. It goes out to a 12mm focal length which will get some of the brighter light out of its FOV and improve what you can see across the street. Maybe even a 5442T-Z4E that goes out to 24mm focal length.

Again though, the caution about back lighting of subjects making identification more difficult. And an auxiliary IR like the one below would help mounted a few feet to the side. I'm using one and it lights up to about 250 feet.

Blaster
Funny you would post that link, I was just about to start the search for that for anotehr camera. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With proper tweaking and mounting of a 5442, you could very well be able to keep the cam in color at night with all the lights on that lot.
Maybe place a camera on the other side of that garage to watch the alley way as well.
Looks like the 5442 is the go-to anyways? I'll add one more.

The alley has dual 5431's crossing each other. They have a slightly elevated view over the 8ft block wall also. I thought about mounting on the shop my Dahua PTZ, but I dont want to just monitor the parking lot behind me and make it look imposing from the alley. Capturing the shop and some yard helps and I would have a hard time getting the aspect ratio to pick up all the way from side to side without getting the yard. Or so I think?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's one in the series, yes. I have a couple of them and they're great cameras. Looking at your sample capture I still think the 5442T-Z4E would be a better choice if you want to be able to get some detail across the street.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's one in the series, yes. I have a couple of them and they're great cameras. Looking at your sample capture I still think the 5442T-Z4E would be a better choice if you want to be able to get some detail across the street.
Can you link me to that camera? I can find ones close but not the 5442t-z4e. Looked on Dahua's site and cant find it there

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im a little confused. the 5442T-Z4E is what Im looking for?

Also, I only have Hikvision and Dahua on the system. Is there something different I need to be aware of with rebranded cameras or is this the same with the same software and only the decal removed?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the only Z4E in the 5442 series. It only comes in a bullet and a large dome (that we would not suggest for outdoor).

The turret is the ZE that has much limited varifocal capabilities.

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick.

Andy's cameras are Dahua and Hikvision OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you by from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams and Dahua or Hikvision OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua and Hikvision authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer. You select the country at camera initialization.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua and Hikvision website, thus proving they are real Dahua and Hikvision. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is the only Z4E in the 5442 series. It only comes in a bullet and a large dome (that we would not suggest for outdoor).

The turret is the ZE that has much limited varifocal capabilities.

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick.

Andy's cameras are Dahua and Hikvision OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you by from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams and Dahua or Hikvision OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua and Hikvision authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer. You select the country at camera initialization.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua and Hikvision website, thus proving they are real Dahua and Hikvision. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site.
Got it. Thats what I was finding.

Real quick question since we are both in the US, one of the reviews mentioned the offshoring of the IP information as a necessity during setup. Is this a concern or ? I havent worried about it before....

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The IP does not need to be off shored in any way an does not try to connect off shore when being configured. The normal practice is to connect the camera, go through the initial setup screens, login and immediately change the IP to match your network IP scheme. The default for Dahua is 192.168.1.108 so you're PC either needs to be on that IP range or the Dahua config tool can access it without changing the IP of your PC.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These cameras do not even need an internet connection.

I set mine up on an old Win7 machine not hooked to the internet because it is the one computer I can ensure that Windows doesn't take Internet Explorer away from since that computer hasn't had access to the internet in years.

Which by the way, if you don't, you will want to set these cameras up in Internet Explorer. Not Edge, Not chrome with IE tab, but plain ole IE that is still baked into WIN10 (for now).

Even though I have set my computers up to not update Windows, they have still managed to pop open Edge now when I hit explorer :banghead: So good thing I kept this ole laptop around LOL.

And then after that, I put the camera on my NIC that does not have internet access.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The IP does not need to be off shored in any way an does not try to connect off shore when being configured. The normal practice is to connect the camera, go through the initial setup screens, login and immediately change the IP to match your network IP scheme. The default for Dahua is 192.168.1.108 so you're PC either needs to be on that IP range or the Dahua config tool can access it without changing the IP of your PC.
Thats what I remember doing. I was a bit confused by the review given on the amazon link above. Its the 1 star review by someone who sets up ip cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats what I remember doing. I was a bit confused by the review given on the amazon link above. Its the 1 star review by someone who sets up ip cameras.
Yeah, that reviewer is clearly someone that shouldn't be buying these cameras.... They want the simple QR code but expose the whole system to the net simplicity LOL.