Help Me Get Root Shell Access To My Hikvision DVR

Reaction score
I have a hikvision DVR (DS-7108HGHI-F1) which I've managed to get into a psh / protected shell but can't get a real shell also I can't upgrade my firmware using TFTP, my Firmware version is 3.4.891 and I can't enable ssh and when I do so I get a message saying "Device is Busy". So I used the Serial UART port to get the shell. [There is also a lot of other ports in the circuit board what could that be??] But, I want a real shell and also any settings I do in the WEB gui get erased after a reboot and I posted all the other details as pictures below.

It would be helpful, if anyone can guide me through to get a real shell in my hikvision DVR.

Thanks.

forum1.jpgforum2.jpgforum3.jpgforum4.pngforum5.pngforum6.pngforum7.png

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
to enable ssh you would need to enter debug mode. And hikvision did make it complicate so only one with password generator can enter it. I dont know about your model, it is old. Perhaps luck on your side if they added password protected debug mode later than your firmware

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But as you said you cant upgrade your dvr via SSH. I see you have full access to web, why dont you upgrade it normal way?

Reaction score
But as you said you cant upgrade your dvr via SSH. I see you have full access to web, why dont you upgrade it normal way?
No , I've meant to say that I can stop the uboot and use tftp to upgrade using the serial console. And after the upgrade I get "upgrade check... error". If I try to update using WEB gui I get upgrade successful but after the reboot the version stays the same as before and no signs of any upgrade at all.

Thanks for replying

Reaction score
to enable ssh you would need to enter debug mode. And hikvision did make it complicate so only one with password generator can enter it. I dont know about your model, it is old. Perhaps luck on your side if they added password protected debug mode later than your firmware
Can you share with me about how to enter debug mode(in the models that you've worked with)?? Maybe that might be applicable with my one.

Thanks for replying

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can use Batch configuration tool, it will upgrade via device port not http.

to enter debug simply run cmd Debug