Help installing Amcrest PoE camera

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just recieved my Armcrest 5mp PoE camera, I plugged the ethernet cable from the camera into my router, then logged into my router to find the camera and it's not showing up in the device list.

The camera has an optional power adapter attached but I'm assuming because it PoE I should not need it to power on the camera. Also there is no power cord included in the box.

What am I doing wrong?

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your router doesn’t have POE powered ports, Amcrest camera will not work. However if you have separate power adapter to use and connected to your camera, it will work. Otherwise you’ll have to purchase POE switch, or POE injector to make this happen! IMG_4121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Bernhardt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera is PoE, which means it CAN be powered by a PoE switch. If you just have it plugged into a regular switch, it's not going to power on. It will not include a power injector or power supply, you're much better off getting a $40 PoE switch

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your router doesn’t have POE powered ports, Amcrest camera will not work. However if you have separate power adapter to use and connected to your camera, it will work. Otherwise you’ll have to purchase POE switch, or POE injector to make this happen! View attachment 84569

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't know the router needed a special ethernet port for PoE. The router is a wavlink AC1200 dual band (Aerial G2).

Ok, then that's the problem. Thanks

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera is PoE, which means it CAN be powered by a PoE switch. If you just have it plugged into a regular switch, it's not going to power on. It will not include a power injector or power supply, you're much better off getting a $40 PoE switch
I just found that out, it's time to get a switch. Thanks

Eric Bernhardt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And just to clarify, cause being a networking guy this drives me nuts, your router is actually 3 devices in one. It's a router, a switch, and a wireless access point. You can, and should, buy these devices separately. No "routers" have PoE ports

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
General best practice is to have the computer, cameras and other "normal" network connected devices all attached to a switch, or multiple switches, and the switch attached to the router/modem. The routers normally do not have the bandwidth capacity needed for streaming multiple cameras and will bog down causing all kinds of strange problems.

Also, if you're planning on "x" number of cameras multiply that number by at least a factor of two, if not four. It's far easier, and less expensive in the long run, to have more ports than you think you need. I started with two cameras and injectors. Now I'm out of ports on a 16 port switch.

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
General best practice is to have the computer, cameras and other "normal" network connected devices all attached to a switch, or multiple switches, and the switch attached to the router/modem. The routers normally do not have the bandwidth capacity needed for streaming multiple cameras and will bog down causing all kinds of strange problems.

Also, if you're planning on "x" number of cameras multiply that number by at least a factor of two, if not four. It's far easier, and less expensive in the long run, to have more ports than you think you need. I started with two cameras and injectors. Now I'm out of ports on a 16 port switch.

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.
I'm only putting up 3 cameras in a small area of a warehouse, no rabbits. I already bought a cheap $8 single port poe injector for the 5mp amcrest turret, and plan to connect two other amcrest 1080p ptz cameras directly to the 4 port router leaving one port open. Hopefully this will run smoothly, if not I'll have to buy a bigger injector. Worst case scenario I wasted the $8

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And just to clarify, cause being a networking guy this drives me nuts, your router is actually 3 devices in one. It's a router, a switch, and a wireless access point. You can, and should, buy these devices separately. No "routers" have PoE ports
Question, my 3 camera system will be "offline local only" recording to sd cards, does it make a difference if I use the router mode vs access point mode?.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you purchase a POE+ switch or injector or the PTZs may not work as they require more power than a typical fixed camera...

Router mode or access point doesn't make a difference, but if they are connected to a router that has internet access, they are seeing the internet even if you do not intend to have them be viewed outside the workplace. Make sure you block them or they will be hacked.

If you want them to not be viewed from outside, then just do not connect them to anything that has outside internet connected to it.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure you purchase a POE+ switch or injector or the PTZs may not work as they require more power than a typical fixed camera...

Router mode or access point doesn't make a difference, but if they are connected to a router that has internet access, they are seeing the internet even if you do not intend to have them be viewed outside the workplace. Make sure you block them or they will be hacked.

If you want them to not be viewed from outside, then just do not connect them to anything that has outside internet connected to it.
The two ptz cameras will be plugged into a power source, they are wireless cameras that have an option to connect hard wire via ethernet. The router is offline and only used to access video streams and recordings via my phone connected to the router.

We will see what happens. I'll be back to report problems if they arise

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The two ptz cameras will be plugged into a power source, they are wireless cameras that have an option to connect hard wire via ethernet. The router is offline and only used to access video streams and recordings via my phone connected to the router.

We will see what happens. I'll be back to report problems if they arise
Yeah, then you will be fine!