Help in selecting a new camera...

Reaction score
I want to replace my current Hikvision mini bullet with a new camera but it is a somewhat odd location. Due to my HOA I'm not supposed to mount cameras on the exterior of the building. I did it anyway with one camera and painted it to blend in. That one has been fine and no one has really noticed.

The second camera I have sitting on top of a concrete lamp post. You can see both cameras here:
Screen Shot on 2018-02-21 at 14:11:05.png

The lower one is an older Swann/rebranded Hikvision mini bullet. The higher one is a Hikvision 4mp mini dome.

And here's a night shot: Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 2.17.35 PM.png - It is pretty dark at night.

The bullet camera has gotten hazy for some reason, even if I clean the lens it still looks like that. And spider webs all the time!

I'm thinking of replacing the lower camera with a Dahua Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) or a Hikvision PTZ dome (DS-2DE4A220IW-DE). I use this 2nd camera to mostly cover the right side of the yard and to see anyone at the front door.

I thought it would be nice to have a PTZ to be able to look around past the fences at people or cars on the sidewalk but I'm not sure it'll be worth going with a dome over the starlight turret just to get PTZ.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should try with this setup? I'm pretty limited to where I can mount cameras so I don't really have many options on mounting locations unfortunantly.

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm also considering changing the Hikvision mini dome (the high camera above the door) to the Dahua starlight turret. It is a little larger than the hik mini dome but I think if I paint it, it will still blend in. Just not sure if I'll see much of a difference in image/low light quality.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That haze on your Swann bullet camera is probably glare from the Hik's IR light, but the glare could be from the Swann's own IR reflecting off another object in your yard or the house. You might test it by disabling the IR in the Hik's web interface at night and see if the Swann's picture clears up. I think this is important because no matter what camera you upgrade for that position, it will likely have the same problem (I have a metal carport that does the same thing to mine).
As far as the model you want, the -Z cameras (with mechanical zoom) tend to be a bit more expensive. Although, -Z models do have slightly larger sensors, the cost vs benefit may not be worth it if you know you'll probably be zooming out to 2.7mm setting (so why not just save yourself the money and buy a 2.8mm). On a side note, turret/eyeball cameras are great because spiders can't run their webs across the lens like bullet cameras. They still try, but the webs don't stick out as much.
PTZ cameras seem appealing for their purpose, but unless you are on this thing full time, controlling it like you're a paid technician, you might consider a fisheye/panoramic camera. If you want the PTZ just for exact positioning, that's great, but if it doesn't return to that exact position after each reboot, then it will require your constant attention (which can be really annoying when you don't have time). For argument's sake, fisheye cameras are a lot more expensive (I'm currently looking at the Dahua IPC-EBW81230), but I think they are worth considering if you're recording with an NVR because of the long-term benefit of the permanent 180/360 degree angle over the convenience of precisely positioning a 120? degree PTZ (at 2.7mm).

By the way, are those Lechuza planters on your patio?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. Good point about glare, I'll have to look into that, maybe something changed causing it to start happening.

I was looking at the mechanical zoom model because I'm thinking I could use a slightly tighter view on the 2nd camera since there is some overlap from the other one. It looks like I can get the Dahua for $140 and the Hikvision PTZ for around $350 but it sounds the PTZ may not be worth the extra $200 and hassle of cleaning a dome.

I also have a Vivotek fisheye in another location but the low light is pretty bad.

I believe the planters are from Target!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Good point about glare, I'll have to look into that, maybe something changed causing it to start happening.

I was looking at the mechanical zoom model because I'm thinking I could use a slightly tighter view on the 2nd camera since there is some overlap from the other one. It looks like I can get the Dahua for $140 and the Hikvision PTZ for around $350 but it sounds the PTZ may not be worth the extra $200 and hassle of cleaning a dome.

I also have a Vivotek fisheye in another location but the low light is pretty bad.

I believe the planters are from Target!
Glare can also come from inside the cam. If there is a foam ring around the lens, it may have deteriorated and is allowing the lens to now catch IR.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Zooming the view of the second camera might not be good because anyone standing at your door or leaving anything on or near your door may be out of view of both cameras.
I sort of ran into this problem a few weeks back when a delivery driver dropped off a 25lbs bag of lentils on our door mat at 10:30pm on a Friday. The door mat is out of view of the camera and we discovered the bag the following Sunday. It took me nearly three hours to find the event in the footage because I obviously don't use alerts and I had no reference points, such as something appearing or missing. So, now I realize we need the door and the mat in view.

Last edited: