Help for a microphone install

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi folks. I have several cameras on an isolated network that's been working great for 7 or 8 years. One of the cameras is a Hik (NSC-423S-BTZ) (with audio) that is connected thru a Trendnet PowerLine network (these by the way, are the greatest thing since shoe-string potatoes!!) that is fed from a POE switch. Due to a neighborhood (heavy on the "hood") situation, I now have need to record sound with the clips from this cam. I have a microphone (VidioSecu High Sensitive Preamp, etc) bought from Amazon several years ago and never used, that Nelly's told me at the time would work with this cam but I didn't bother hooking it up. My question is: will using a POE splitter (such as the one Sebastion recommends) to power the microphone allow the audio signal from it back thru the Powerline network to the switch and BI?

(I've noted that the one Sebastion recommends is no longer available but another user provided guidance for a replacement).
Any guidance or suggestions will be most appreciated. I'd rather not climb the ladder up to the camera more than once if I can avoid it. I installed that camera years ago, when it was easy. Now it ain't!!
Thanks, Mike

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A PoE splitter just splits out the power so you can power the camera and microphone. I'm not a Hikvision camera user, but if the camera has an audio input jack just plug the external microphone into that jack. The camera will translate the analog audio into a digital signal which then gets inserted into the video stream going back to your NVR/VMS.

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A PoE splitter just splits out the power so you can power the camera and microphone. I'm not a Hikvision camera user, but if the camera has an audio input jack just plug the external microphone into that jack. The camera will translate the analog audio into a digital signal which then gets inserted into the video stream going back to your NVR/VMS.
Thanks Sebastian, My apoligies for the late thank you, Crisis stuff, (as usual).
Anyway I did as you suggested and also dug thru the cameras settings to turn on the audio stuff. I think I got everything there and also in BI, but get no sound. I have no way to test the mic, so I can't tell if it's good or bad. As I recall, I paid $35 for the mic back in '06 (I think). It's an ML1-WS from ETS and the spec sheet says it' "un-pre-amplified", whatever that means. I have no other stuff to try to test it on so I guess I'll bite the bullet and find a cheap one on the internet to try. Maybe I'll get lucky.
This is my first excursion into "Audio" and it's very confusing (just like cameras were and still are!) but I'll get there.
If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try this, used by many here quite successfully -

Micro Seven Microphone
Okay, Sebastian, it's ordered. Should be here in a couple of days. Thanks a bunch. I'll let you know how it works out. I am assuming that I will not need a separate power supply because the mic will get it's power from the POE. It that correct?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also use the Micro Seven and it works very well. DC voltage from 8 to 20 VDC works well. It will even run at lower voltages but the gain is substantially reduced.

Did try a POE to 12 VDC splitter but did not desire to run the Dahua camera on 12 volts. Most inexpensive splitters will only pass data and not POE at 44 - 57 VDC with a tap for 12 VDC. In its place, ran a separate line for 12 VDC power using a DC wall wart that was well filtered. The transformer (heavy ones) do not work as well as the lighter non transformer types. Overall current requirements at 16 VDC is a little less than one milliamp.

Note: when purchasing, check out both Amazon and the MicroSeven site as sometimes one offers the same product for less. Found that shipping from MicroSeven was at four days, while Amazon was 10 days to Alaska.

Last edited:

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, received the Microseven today, but big disappointment. The camera uses a 3.5 mm stereo connector and the Microseven only has an RCA connector. I should have looked more closely at the listing pictures instead of relying on the text, which clearly says "Any IP camera & PTZ IP camera with audio interface". I guess I'll contact the seller and see if they have a model with the required jack. If not maybe I can return it without too much hassle. Any further suggestions anyone?

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Add Edit: While trying to find out on Amazon how to contact the seller, I found a simple little line that said a "converter" could be used to convert from RCA to 3.5mm. I'm gonna have to start being more careful!! Now if I can just find a "converter".

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those converters should be easy to find, or snip the end off of the camera or mic and put on the appropriate one on so it works. I have done that in the past - or simply splice them together with no connector...

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, thanks to Sebastion I now have a Microseven microphone. I found, ordered and received a couple of RCA to 3.2mm (which the camera requires) adapters. One is for stereo (3 rings on the jack) and the other is for a mono (2 rings) jack. Didn't know which one the camera would like and being tired of waiting, I just ordered both. Received them today and began the process all over.

First thing I did was to open up the camera's settings using IE 11 and enable the audio (I hope), this way;
Accessed the camera, then; Configuration> Advanced Settings> Video/Audio> Audio>
Audio Encoding [G.711ulaw] (already there),
Audio Input [ Linein ] (I inserted this).
Environmental Filter [On] (already there).
SAVEd it and exited.

Second thing was to open up Blue Iris> Options> Audio> and checked "Enable audio capture hardware.
That opened up the "Device", "Input" and "Format" boxes for use.
Problem is, all 3 of them are empty and I have no clue as to what to put in there.
I thought maybe the fields would fill in if I restarted the camera or rebooted the whole shebang, but no success.
I couldn't find anything on the BI help page for the screen that refers to those fields, nor anything in the help manual.
Also, i can find no info on the microphone itself or it's listing that might be the info needed.

Thirdly; in BI in the Camera Properties>Audio>
I enabled "Audio capture hardware",
selected "IP Camera Stream"
under "Options, I enabled "Webcast Audio" and
"Record audio during profiles".

I keep thinking it may be that the mic is not working or possibly the camera. But I have no way to determine this.
I sure would appreciate any and all assistance, guidance, help, comments, suggestions, etc, etc.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
First things to try -

Shut off the "environmental filter in the camera.
In BI, do a find/inspect of the camera again now that the audio channel is on. BI may not be aware that the stream now includes audio.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In BI -Settings-Audio, do not Enable audio capture hardware. I think that is for an outgoing mic.
When you open the camera make sure the {LISTEN} box is not muted in the upper tool bar and make sure AUDIO is toggled on on the right side of the tool bar. The LISTEN option will be greyed out when no camera is selected.

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First things to try -

Shut off the "environmental filter in the camera.
In BI, do a find/inspect of the camera again now that the audio channel is on. BI may not be aware that the stream now includes audio.
Thanks Sebastion, I shut off the enviromental filter and did the inspection, couldnt see any change there, but when I looked at the video now there is a green dot on the upper right little header? bar. However, still no sound

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In BI -Settings-Audio, do not Enable audio capture hardware. I think that is for an outgoing mic.
When you open the camera make sure the {LISTEN} box is not muted in the upper tool bar and make sure AUDIO is toggled on on the right side of the tool bar. The LISTEN option will be greyed out when no camera is selected.
Thanks Broachoski, I "un-enabled" the audio capture hardware. Still no sound.
When you say "open the camera", do you mean within the camera itself or do you mean in BI? I cannot find a (Listen) box anywhere and I don't seem to have an upper tool bar in BI or in the cameras settings pages.??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you looking at it with a monitor hooked to the computer or remote desktop? If remote desktop you will not hear live audio, but can on playback.

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On BI screen. Here is a pic of where they are.
View attachment 123853View attachment 123853
I see why I can't find it, I don't have that nice pretty toolbar. Dang! Due to my not wanting to learn a new bunch of technology at my age, I'm using ver 3.66. I still have not used anywhere near all the neat stuff Ken wrote into this beautiful piece of software. I'm sorry fellas, but I wonder if maybe those same features are located somewhere else in 3.66 and just displayed differently. What do you think?

kalecocat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you looking at it with a monitor hooked to the computer or remote desktop? If remote desktop you will not hear live audio, but can on playback.
Sorry Wittaj, I almost forgot to reply (I'm going to bed. "way past my bedtime).
I'm using my computer monitor and accessory speakers (USB). Thanks for the thought, keep thinkin'.