Help - Deleted Data & Serious Assault

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am so annoyed with myself, I have my BI Clips and Archiving set to delete (not move) at 100GB on a 8TB WD Purple. Stupidity at minimum. Especially with continuous recording set.

Then I get the call from local police to say there was a serious assault and I cannot find the footage because it has deleted.

So far I have downloaded:-

Windows app called Recuva which tried but failed to identify anything.
Then windows official recovery tool, but this is command prompt based and I am struggling with it.

Has anyone got any insight as to if these files could be recovered or not and if I am wasting time looking?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
best software i used so far (for private) was wondershare recoverit with deep scan which is made by chinese government...
all tools only work good when licenced.

there are some professional softwares which needs hardware .. they work much better than any "normal" software.

problem will be that you maybe have already overwritten the used sectors... also recover video data is really difficult...

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Its more than likely gone without you using a professional data recovery firm to the tune of ~$300/hr.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys, police should have the equipment. But I am running Wondershare's Recoverit now. So far it has found existing files only @user8963.

Police have been told they need a tech expert but they are not ringing me back to provide one to look so I am trying before it gets definitely overwritten, although it probably is too closing in on being too late already.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When a file is deleted, the space is marked as not used. With large files, the chances of over writing part of the erased file's data is high. Small files are likely to remain intact. Once part of the data is over written, recovery is much, much more challenging.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @TVille , the files I need are 1.77GB (one hour blocks). But with the 8TB WD Purple having used just about 1TB allocated free space (due to my clips and archive error), I remain hopeful.

Still running the Wondershare Recoverit software but not found anything new yet.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @NOAMattD running that also, the first one recommended is still running. Hope that's not a problem.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If you setup Windows 10 correctly you can try the restore option. This feature is disabled by default.

Keep in mind if you restore the computer every thing in place now will be lost! So assuming it’s enabled take the time to move some of the important data files somewhere else.

Lastly, the snap shots normally only capture system wide events like install / uninstall etc. A defined snap shot is normally programmed along with any manual intervention the user has taken.

Historically the Windows Restore has offered less than 25% success rate in practical use. So if you see a successful restore the only thing that matters is if the file is there!

Good Luck