Help Deciding to get Blue Iris or a Dedicated NVR

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m looking to setup a video security system for my house. I considered the built software my Qnap NAS has, but it looks really basic without many options. Now I’m thinking about a dedicated NVR with cameras or buying my own cameras and using something like Blue Iris. I have a nice gaming computer that is left on almost 24/7, but not sure I want to have something like this running on it. Would this affect performance of my gaming computer? Plus the gaming computer gets rebooted a bunch, used for software development, and some work stuff. I was thinking of a cheap i5 or i7 headless system to run the Blue Iris software. In this case the hardware would run in my basement and I would have to access the software with remote desktop or the web interface.

So how does Blue Iris work with a headless system? Would this be a good choice or would a dedicated NVR system be a better choice? How does Blue Iris work with remote desktop? I know video is not great when I use remote desktop. How well does the web interface work compared to the software on the headless system?

Thanks Chad

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would never recommend running Blue Iris (or any security camera software) on any computer that is used for any purpose other than to manage cameras (and maybe some directly-related support software).

Blue Iris will, most likely, offer the most flexibility and support for cameras from varying manufacturers.

Dedicated NVR's are typically limited, whereas a build-your-own system can be expanded and tweaked.
Thanks Farmer. How well would Blue Iris work on a headless system? Any limitations I should be concerned about?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bp2008's viewer cannot manage BI..it's simply a replacement webserver interface. You can use teamviewer or similar however keep in mind that cpu will significantly increase when in use. If using rdp notes that by default blue Iris limits to one frame every 5 seconds..you need to change the settings to unrestricted.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks! I ordered a refurb HP i5 with 8gb ram. It has a 750gb hard drive,but I might use my nas.

Would it be easy to setup recording to my local drive and then run a background process to copy files to nas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I ordered a refurb HP i5 with 8gb ram. It has a 750gb hard drive,but I might use my nas.

Would it be easy to setup recording to my local drive and then run a background process to copy files to nas?
What model i5? Hopefully its not gen 1

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Picked it up on eBay. I did a little research on this forum and it looks like this was a recommended model for low power.

HP EliteDesk USFF 800 G1 i5 4590s Quad 3.7GHz 8GB 750GB Win10P HP Warranty 1.5yr

looks like a gen4 processor.