Help Dahua NVR with high CPU usage

Ezat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member in this great forum.

I need help with Dahua DH-NVR616D-128-4K, with 84 Dahua IP Cameras fixed and PTZ, its CPU usage is more than 70% and turns to red color, also I replaced 16 hard disks of 2 TB with 8 TB to increase the space but CPU usage goes even higher up to more than 80%.

also I'm using DSS for the clients but if I want to replay the videos I can't play them smoothly when I try to speed up.

need your help.

thanks

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do the officials say?
In any case, you need to organize a rs232 connection so that Dahua engineers from TP can enter the shell, and if there are smart ones of course, then can get a little more information in the console.
This and other forums should be the last place a happy owner of dahua technology could contact.
Do not miss the opportunity, give the manufacturer employees the opportunity to prove themselves in full! ;)

Eric2274

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need help with Dahua DH-NVR616D-128-4K, with 84 Dahua IP Cameras fixed and PTZ, its CPU usage is more than 70% and turns to red color, also I replaced 16 hard disks of 2 TB with 8 TB to increase the space but CPU usage goes even higher up to more than 80%.

also I'm using DSS for the clients but if I want to replay the videos I can't play them smoothly when I try to speed up.

need your help.

thanks
Wow 84 cameras that is not bad as I had exactly the same recorder installed but had a massive problem with the CPU running at 70% the recorder was pretty much freezing if I made too many selections and I only had 35 cameras connected to the 128ch unit.

I was advised from the supplier to firstly update the firmware but that made zero difference, I was then told that I had some camera's that where not official Dahua and this was the likely problem, (felt more like they were trying to deal themselves a get out of jail free card)

I did a great amount of testing at this point disconnected pretty much all the cameras and removing most of the HDDS and turning off raid
(I had to lose the clients data several times and prayed I no one would ask me for recorded footage)

I did and still do not believe eg grey market Dahua or Version free Dahua cameras is the problem as if this is the case where do onvif cameras sit.

I did not see any real significant difference with the CPU that could allow me to pinpoint the issue. The CPU of course did fall as I removed cameras from the recorder but I expected this result as less cameras = less CPU.

I got very little help via the supplier as I think they don't have any real answer.

I had 12 x 8tb WD purple hard drives and set to raid 6 I also had a mountain of problems getting the recorder to recognise the drives as some had problems being added.
I needed 30 days min recording the cameras also needed to record in motion also as permanent recording.
I had actually sold this recorder as a 64ch to try and safe guard myself as I did not want to overload the recorder as I was skeptical that it could do 128ch.

Funny thing is if you check the bandwidth spec between the same model 32ch and 128ch there is not much difference. I could not fix the issue and after much discussion/trouble with the supplier, they reluctantly took the recorder back and made a deal to replace with 3 x 2ru 32ch for me.

I have since installed 1 x 32ch and have 6 x 8tb raid 5, Cpu is fluctuating between 65%-93% which again is concerning as I noticed 1 cameras would disappear from live view I am only running my 4mp cameras on 2mp at 8-10fps approx 1700 bandwidth. The recorder seems to be working ok but I am still very worried about this cpu issue as I have another 3 x 32ch to add the this site and 1 x area in particular will have a higher amount of motion which may further stress the recorder.

My belief is that the 128ch recorder is grossly under spec.

If you are using in motion only and maybe with no raid then you may be ok.
I have used Dahua products for many years and unfortunately after this experience I will not sell any Dahua recorder's over 32ch as I will use something else.

I also had dss setup to 1 pc but also had issues with stable playback

I would love to hear from anybody else who has installed this 128ch or 256ch recorder with it fully loaded as i would like to be proven wrong via a setup issue as I like Dahua products and I want to use them with confidence in the taks but to date I am disapointed with the outcome so far as I still cant pinpoint the reason for the high cpu issue.

Totoro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

need your help.

thanks
I have the same problem with NVR-616-64 with 54 cameras. CPU usage up to 60%. At the same time, the DHI-NVR5864-I runs on 15-25% of the CPU with the same cameras.

Eric2274

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem with NVR-616-64 with 54 cameras. CPU usage up to 60%. At the same time, the DHI-NVR5864-I runs on 15-25% of the CPU with the same cameras.
Ok, that is very interesting as the cpu on the 616 I believe is a higher spec, it seems like it could be model related but surely I would expect many other installers to ave come forward reporting this issue to Dahua. I cant seem to find anything regarding issues with cpu use, with exception to your post. I thought it may be related to a switch issue that may have been creating a cpu issue with the recorder, but maybe its purely the recorder itself. I have also seen other 32ch models almost fully loaded but cpu's only around 30% mark.

Still wondering if cpu usage also is because of raid and if recorder is set as permanent recording and motion recording at same time and also how much motion is occuring at the one time. I know this will all add cpu use but I would have expected Dahua to make sure a recorder can be fully loaded to a worst case enviroment to make sure the recorder can handle its operation. There are also other option like AI now which would further stress the CPU I assume.

Eric2274

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been doing some more testing with my recorder in regard to the high CPU (NVR 608-32-4k)

My recorder is set to record 24/7 permanent and motion recording due to the type of enviroment, customer also wanted redundancy

I found that if I use raid eg 5 or 6 or any the CPU would continually spike up by about 30%, this creates a big problem for me as I can see that with a loaded 32ch unit I would most likely see a 70-100% cpu rate.

I did however come up with a type of fix, which may help others.

Firstly I will not use raid at all. I have 8 x 6tb hard drives.

I have created eg cams 1-4 to record to hdd1, cams 5-8 to hdd2 and so on (mainstream), this way if I lose a drive I only use 4 cams.

To try and create some type of safeguard against a hdd fail and specific incident loss at that exact time,

I will set up HDD7 cams1-16 and HDD 8 cams17-32 to record all cams in D1 substream with a good frame rate 12fps.

I have set this up with 4 hdds as a test and it works well the cpu usage does not spike as it only adds about 5% as opposed to the massive 30% plus cpu strain via raid.

I know that some will say, yes but you only have a low res safeguard, Yes this is true but keep in mind a customer incident would only be lost in mainstream if
(1) main recording HDD fails and
(2) if the incident happen'd at exactly at the time of the HDD being faulty at that specific time.

I will at least have the incident in good D1 format so I will still have the footage if required of a critical event which is much better than not having the incident at all!

This also will allow me to set the mainstream recording resolution/bitrate at good spec bit and of course I can alter this for both the permanent and motion events to customise the recorder without the worry of a raid system with a crazy cpu reading which then cause recorder to potentially miss data or freeze. Raid is also not fool proof as certain conditions means there are limitations to its effectiveness. Raid also creates drives that need to sit as a just in case, which means a further limited amount of effective hard drive space.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone out

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

need your help.

thanks
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same. CPU usage on NVR608-128-4ks2 with only 30 cams connected. CPU usage between 85-99%

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same. CPU usage on NVR608-128-4ks2 with only 30 cams connected. CPU usage between 85-99%
Firmware version?
What params of your 30 cams?
Screenshot from ipc video setting pls.
How many clients and how many stream's they use?

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
where do you see the NVR CPU usage?
Guessing this is only visible in high end NVRs?

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check this thread for starters:

Not sure that your NVR has that menu but it’s worth a look.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check this thread for starters:

Not sure that your NVR has that menu but it’s worth a look.
Thanks, i'm afraid of bricks and I don't have any issue with the current NVR firmware, so, I will not update for now.