Help! Contractor broke my PTZ camera!

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello ipcamtalk friends. I need your help.

If you've been following my adventure with the Dahua PTZ1A225-HNR-XA over in my "drive-by shooting" thread, you are aware that I had mounted this camera incorrectly. Well, earlier this morning, one of the contractors working on my house broke the camera when he was trying to take it off the junction box. He instead of decoupling the cat6 cable from the connector, he just yanked it out :facepalm:

So now I have this...

broken-1.pngbroken-3.pngbroken-2.png

The contractor tore the female connector at the end of the cable from the camera. I should have climbed the 40-foot ladder and done it myself.

In the grand scheme of things, this broken connector looks like something I can fix. But I need your advice. What parts would work best? And which wires go where? Your help is much appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh no. I would have him buy you a new camera and then you fix this and have two LOL

Some of these many threads will help:

IPC-T5442T-ZE PoE Pinout Tip - For Broken Connector RJ45
I just wanted to make a post to help others in the future. Recently I damaged the end of my connector on IPC-T5442T-ZE Black Camera. Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE uses the T568A pin out. Not the B more prevalent method here is US. Originally I had it wired like image IMG_9537.jpg (B). However camera...

T568A vs T568B pinout for cameras
Has anyone experienced issues with using the T568A pinout and getting Amcrest cameras to work? I have some of the empire tech rebranded Dahaus and they have worked perfectly with my Cat 5e cable that is terminated with T568A pinout on both ends. When I hook up the Amcrest ip5m-t1179ew-36mm I...

Lorex LNB8105X pinout diagram
Hi, I have a Lorex LNB8105X and I accidentally tripped on the wire, the camera connector was pulled out. As you see on the connector (female) on picture #1 the only thing I know for sure, is that the blue wire is on connector 6. If you look at picture #2, you will see what I am working with. I...

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj Thank you for these helpful links. Is there a particular female connector that you recommend I use?

This cable is kind of expensive, but I could cut the male connector off--ouch--and then solder the wires to the wire coming from the cable. This would give me a new female connector on my camera. What do you think?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm seeing conflicting info on which pinout to use on the Dahua camera. Does anyone know which is correct? Given my camera's wires, I think it must be T568A or T568B. But I also read that 802.3at cameras have to be compatible with both POE+ mode A and mode B so that it might not matter.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I cut open the broken RJ45 to look at the wiring scheme. It is pretty clear that the white/orange and orange go pins 1 and 2 indicating that the camera's layout is T568B. So I'm going to put a male connector on the remaining cable and see if I can get the camera working from the POE+ switch.

broken-5.png

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good news! The T568B pinout worked. For the benefit of anyone else who might be dealing with a similar issue in the future. I put a male RJ45 connector on the cable. Originally there was a female connector (which is what the contractor broke). I've order the waterproof male-to-male coupler below. This should allow me to connect the camera to the network with minimal reworking.

waterproof Male-to-male RJ45 coupler

Thank you to everyone, particularly @wittaj

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good deal! Hopefully you are getting compensation or discount from the contractor for messing this up!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't classify breaking peoples property and not repairing or replacing it a favor. But that is just me
If the guy was called to specifically move or I mount the cam then I’d agree, get him to pay but if you called him to do something else and then you asked him to get the cam down for you then I’d classify that as him doing you a favour.

I had the front of my house repaired and painted and I used this opportunity to move one of my cams. The painter knew or knows nothing about cams and when I told him I wanted the cam moved he explained to me that he wouldn’t be comfortable with even touching the cam so I ended up up a ladder getting the cam down and then also when he had finished moving the wire putting it up. If at that point I had said just do it and he knackered the cam, then I would be miffed but I’d see it as a problem if my own making.