Help and suggestions for converting older analog cameras to ethernet for use with BI

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all, I have several older CCTV cameras that all use analog audio and video that came from some old school buses I would like to use in various places around my home. things like placing them in areas where high video quality isn't needed but would like to see what's happening when my other cameras pick up something, ie.. the dog's cage.

I have used them with a Audio / video to usb converter with good success, but having multiples of these usb converters directly connected to my dedicated BI pc causes issues. I have read that a raspberry pi can do this, but the cost and availability of them lately aren't worth the expense compared to just purchasing some additional IP cameras.

I would love to find an inexpensive way to utilize these cameras around various areas of my home. I have heard talk about orange pi and banana pi's on the web and seem to be priced on the low end around $20 - $30 which is within range if they can do the job of simply using the usb capture cards I have and sending the audio and video feeds over my lan to my BI pc.

are there any simple guides out there to accomplish this or any simple suggestions for me to utilize these older cameras instead of just tossing them?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep for $20-$30 that I assume is each you could get an IP cam that would be more efficient and better.

If you really wanna run these, then look at like a cheap analog NVR that you could feed it to BI.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I figured tossing them was the better option LOL. I do have the nvr that came with them but have not been able to use the nvr since it requires a special interface to set it up. the nvr and cameras are made by Gatekeeper systems. Gatekeeper model 304SD. I have two of the nvr's and 6 cameras, has the GPS units for both of them too. the only thing I have not tried to do is connect the nvr to the Ethernet and probe it to see if it's sending any feed over it's IP.

Here's a couple of pics of the unit I have.

1671312621841.png
1671312401427.png
1671312471125.png